When you work with Microsoft Support, it is frequently necessary to transfer files to facilitate the troubleshooting process. We recognize that these files may contain sensitive data and must be handled securely. Therefore, the Secure File Exchange was built to enable the fast and secure transfer and storage of files.
The main features of Secure File Exchange are as follows:
- Secure file transfer and storage in the Azure public cloud.
- An ISO 27001 certified system that has been independently verified as meeting the industry standards for security and protection of data.
- The use of "work or school, or personal Microsoft accounts" for customer authentication.
- Restricted access to your files to only those Microsoft Support Professionals who are actively working on your case.
- Compliance with contractual, regulatory and certification requirements.
- Automatic permanent deletion of files 90 days after your case is closed, or sooner, at your request.
If a file transfer is required to assist with the resolution of a support case, you will receive an email message from a Microsoft Support Professional that contains a link that provides access to your Secure File Exchange workspace.
Secure File Exchange "Sign in" and Capabilities
After you go to the Secure File Exchange workspace by using the link provided by a Microsoft Support Professional, you can add files without signing in to your “work or school, or personal Microsoft account.”
If you need to view, download or delete files that are provided by your Microsoft Support Professional, you must sign in with the "work or school, or personal Microsoft account" that was added to your service request.
In other words, if you sign in with a “work or school, or personal Microsoft account”, but this account has not been added to your service request by the Microsoft Support Professional, you will only be able to Add files.
If for any reason that you cannot use that “work or school, or personal Microsoft account” to sign in, and you need to view, download, and delete files in your workspace, contact a Microsoft Support Professional for alternative methods of transferring files to you securely.
The Secure File Exchange Experience
The following is an example of Secure File Exchange being used by a customer:
- dmpsetup.log is being uploaded by the customer and has 107 seconds remaining. The upload can also be canceled at any time.
- failovercollection.ps was uploaded by a Microsoft Support Professional (firstname.lastname@example.org) for the customer to download.
- Netlogon_netlogon.log was uploaded by the customer (email@example.com). It's selected and can be downloaded or deleted by the customer.
All files are physically located in the location of the workspace. The location where a workspace is physically created is as follows.
When you open a support case and the country that you specify is…
- in Europe, Secure File Exchange will physically create the workspace in Europe.
- the United States, Secure File Exchange will physically create the workspace in the United States.
- any other country, Secure File Exchange will find the closest location to the Microsoft Support Professional that is creating the workspace, and that is where the workspace will be physically created.
|Secure File Exchange|
|Personal Microsoft account sign in||https://login.live.com|
|Work or school Microsoft account sign in||https://login.microsoftonline.com|
|Other (Microsoft Cloud Deutschland) – For Germany only||https://dtmbfprodapi.azuretrafficmanager.de|
- The Secure File Exchange workspace link that you received from the Microsoft Support Professional will expire 90 days after it is issued to you, regardless of whether the service request is opened or closed. If your link has expired and your case is active, ask your Microsoft Support Professional for a new link.
- When the service request is closed by the Microsoft Support Professional, the workspace itself will be inaccessible. If the service request is reopened, and the link has not expired, the workspace will be accessible.
- 90 days after the service request is closed, all files in the workspace and the workspace itself will be permanently deleted.
Article ID: 4012140 - Last Review: 2017, മാർ 29 - Revision: 22