- In Exchange Admin Center, select Compliance Management > retention tags > > applied automatically to a default folder to create a default retention tag of the Conversation History type:
- Enter a name for the new tag, select a retention action, and then enter a retention period in days:
- Link the retention tag to a retention policy (select retention policies > ):
- Run the following command to apply the new policy to a mailbox:
Set-Mailbox email@example.com -RetentionPolicy "Archive Conversation After 1 day"Note The Archive Conversation After 1 day placeholder represents the retention policy name.
- If the period of the retention tag is less than seven days, you must run the following command to force the Managed Folder Assistant to apply the retention tag:
Start-ManagedFolderAssistant -Identity firstname.lastname@example.orgNotes
- The Managed Folder Assistant is responsible for clearing the expired or old items from mailboxes. It runs only once every seven days in the Exchange Online service.
- You may have to find a mechanism to run the command on demand.
Article ID: 4013794 - Last Review: 2017, മാർ 13 - Revision: 21