Welcome to the release candidate, 17.0 RC3, of SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)! This release candidate includes support for SQL Server vNext.
SSMS release candidate, 17. RC3 works side-by-side with our generally available release, but is not recommended for production use.
This update, when applied through Windows Server Update Services (WSUS), is only applicable if SSMS 17.0 RC2 is already installed on a computer. If the computer has SSMS 17.0 RC1 (or earlier) or SSMS 16.x (or earlier) installed, the computer will not be offered the SSMS 17.0 RC3 update.
- New upgrade package
- Upgrades previous 17.x installations to the current version
- Provides a smaller download size
- See Known issues, below, for issues specific to upgrading RC2 to RC3
- Icon updates
- Final set of icon updates for SSMS 17.0
- New SSMS and Profiler program icons to differentiate between 16.x and 17.x versions
- Presentation Mode
- Three new tasks available via Quick Launch (Ctrl-Q):
- PresentOn - Turn on presentation mode.
- PresentEdit - Edit the presentation font sizes for presentation mode. "Text Editor font" for the Query Editor. "Environment font" for other components.
- RestoreDefaultFonts - Revert to default settings.
- Note There is currently no PresentOff command. Use RestoreDefaultFonts to turn off Presentation Mode
- Three new tasks available via Quick Launch (Ctrl-Q):
- SQL PowerShell Module
- Miscellaneous improvements concern the presentation (formatting) of some SMO objects (e.g., databases now show the size and the available space, and tables show row count and space usage)
- Colorization when the PowerShell command prompt is invoked from the "Start PowerShell" menu in Object Explorer
- Added -ClusterType and -RequiredCopiesToCommit parameters to AG cmdlets (New-SqlAvailabilityGroup, Join-SqlAvailabilityGroup, and Set-SqlAvailabilityGroup cmdlets)
- Added parameters -ActiveDirectoryAuthority and -AzureKeyVaultResourceId to Add-SqlAzureAuthenticationContext cmdlet
- SQL Server on Linux
- General improvements and fixes for log shipping
- Analysis Server DAX Query Editor with colorization and IntelliSense
- New "Add Unique Constraint" template
- Show max instead of sum across the threads in properties window for elapsed time
- Expose new mem grant operator properties
- Enable the "Edit Query" button in Live Query Statistics Support for interleaved execution
- Remove Configuration Manager from Registered Servers Explorer
- Enable reading audit logs from Azure blob storage
The following update is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
Download the update now
For more information about how to download Microsoft support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Microsoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.
- Fixed an issue where default values were not scripted for user-defined table types. Connect item
- Performance improvements made for the context menu on indexes. Connect item
- Fixed issue causing excessive flickering when hovering mouse over missing index in execution plan. Connect item
- Fixed an issue where SSMS was taking the database offline when scripting. Connect item
- Miscellaneous UI fixes made on localized (non-English) versions of SSMS.
- Fixed issue where "Always Encrypted Keys" node was missing when targeting SQL 2016 SP1 Standard Edition.
- Always Encrypted
- Fixed an issue where the "Always Encrypted" menu was incorrectly enabled when targeting SQL 2016 RTM Standard Edition or any SQL 2014 (and below) servers.
- Fixed an issue where IntelliSense reported an error when the CREATE OR ALTER syntax is used.
- Fixed an issue where encryption failed in case CMK/CEK contain characters that should be escaped (e.g., enclosed in brackets).
- Fixed an issue where an "out of memory" exception occurred in SSMS, and the user is presented an error message that suggests using the native (64bit) PowerShell instead.
- Fixed an issue where the AE wizard was failing when the user was using Resource Group Manager subscriptions instead of Classic Azure subscriptions.
- Fixed an issue where the AE wizard was showing an incorrect error message when the user had no permissions in any subscriptions or had no Azure Key Vaults in any of them.
- Fixed an issue in the AE wizard where the Azure Key Vault sign-in page was not showing Azure subscriptions in case of multiple AAD.
- Fixed an issue in the AE wizard where the Azure Key Vault sign-in page was not showing Azure subscriptions for which the user has reader permission.
- Improved contrast of hyperlinks on SSMS Setup page.
- Fixed an issue where Polybase nodes were not displayed when connected to SQL Server Express (2016 SP1).
- Fixed an issue where SSMS was unable to change the compatibility level of an Azure SQL database to v140.
- Improved performance of Object Explorer when expanding the list of Azure databases. Connect Item
- Fixed an issue where the "View SQL Server Log" context menu item appeared incorrectly for non-relational server types (AS\RS\IS).
- Fixed an issue where checking syntax of an Analysis Services partition query using SQL Server Authentication could result in a "login failed" message.
- Fixed an issue where renaming a preview 1400 compatibility-level AS tabular model would fail in SSMS.
- Fixed an “operation failed on model” issue that could occur after attempting an invalid operation on the AS server in rare circumstances.
- Fixed a typo in the Analysis Services Synchronize Database pop-up dialog box.
Upgrade from RC2 to RC3
- Unable to access AS, RS, and IS menu options
- Profiler and Database Tuning Engine Advisor missing from "Tools" menu
- Workaround: re-run SSMS 17.0 RC3 Setup and choose to "Repair"
SQL on Linux support:
- Support for native path on "SQL on Linux" will be in an upcoming update of SSMS.
- Currently some scenarios in SSMS may not work as expected. For example:
- The path displayed in the "Backup Database" form will look like C:\var\opt ... (instead of the native Linux path).
- Clicking the Content button in the Backup Database wizard will cause an error.
Article ID: 4014962 - Last Review: 2017, മാർ 28 - Revision: 38