Browse list. If you change the view in the
Browse list to Details, the behavior that is mentioned in the "Symptoms" section of this article may occur.
When you view the
Browse list in Details view, the computer description also appears in the Comments column. When you view a list of computers in the Browse list, the computers are sorted alphabetically in ascending order by computer name.
To change your computer description, use one of the following methods.
Method 1: Use the System Properties Dialog Box
- Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
- On the Computer Name tab, type your computer's description in the Computer descriptionbox.
- Click OK to close the System Properties dialog box.
Method 2: Use the Windows RegistryWARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
- Quit all running programs.
- Click Start, and then click
- In the Open box, type the following command, and then click OK:regedit
- Locate the following registry key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters
- Click svrcomment, and then click
Modify on the Edit menu.
- In the Value data box, type your computer's description.
- Locate the following registry key:
- Click NV Hostname, and then click
Modify on the Edit menu.
- In the Value Data box, type your computer's host name.
- Exit Registry Editor.
Note You may also have to follow the steps outlined in Method 1 to reset the local computer accounts.
Method 3: Use the Command Line
- Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click
- At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:net config server /srvcomment:"computer description"Note "computer description" is the description you want for your computer.
- Computer descriptions may not show up immediately in the
Browse list. For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:259523 How to add a comment field to a computer name
- On a computer that has either Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 installed, the computer's description is also stored in the following registry location:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ComputerDescriptions
ID do Artigo: 824386 - Última Revisão: 4 de jan de 2008 - Revisão: 1