You might also be able to work around this behavior with an in-place upgrade of Windows 2000 after you perform the restore operation. For additional information about performing an in-place upgrade, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
- Install a secondary protocol such as the NetBEUI protocol. If you already have a secondary protocol installed, skip this step.
- If the computer is a domain controller, restart the computer in Directory Services Restore mode. Otherwise, restart the computer in "Safe Mode with Networking" mode.
- Remove the TCP/IP protocol from properties of the Local Area Connection.
- If the computer is a domain controller, restart the computer again in Directory Services Restore mode. Otherwise, restart the computer again in "Safe Mode with Networking" mode. You must restart the computer again at this stage because the TCP/IP protocol is not available for reinstallation until you restart the computer.
- Reinstall the TCP/IP protocol in the Local Area Connection properties.
- Remove the protocol that you temporarily added in step 1 (if appropriate), and then restart the computer.