- Copy the I386 Directory and all subdirectories from your Windows XP Professional Volume License Media CD-ROM to a directory on your hard disk. For example, copy them to C:\Flat.
- Download and extract Xpsp1.exe to a directory on your hard disk.
- Run the following command to integrate SP1 into the I386 directory:
- Run the following command to encrypt your Windows Setup answer file:
c:\flat\winnt32.exe /encrypt:"xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx:y" /unattend:filename This command uses the following place holders:
- xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx is your Volume License Product Key.
- y is a value ranging from 5 to 60. This is the time in days that you want this script to be valid for.
- filename is the script that you want to encrypt the Volume License Product Key in.
When you run this command, you do not receive any dialog boxes or error messages. To determine whether the command is successful, see the %WINDIR%\Winnt32.log file. The following is a sample command to encrypt a product key that is not valid for Volume License media:
Main module path: <c:\flat\i386\winnt32u.dll>
PID is not valid or not a valid VL key.