Security Threat: If the AutoConfig Branding feature is enabled, the browser will attempt to retrieve and apply branding instructions even when the PC is in an untrusted network environment (e.g. an airport lounge or coffee shop). This could allow an attacker control over the settings controlled by branding. If you wish to re-enable this feature you should use a HTTPS URL for the URL to the configuration script. You should also avoid moving your PC into untrusted network environments.
Security update informationTo get around this intentional design, install the most current cumulative security update for Internet Explorer 8. To install the most current update, visit the following Microsoft Web site: Note This update was first included in security update Knowledge Base (KB) article 978207 (MS10-002). For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Note There are several requirements for this update to work correctly. All the following requirements must be met:
- Add the FEATURE_AUTOCONFIG_BRANDING feature control registry key, and then set the registry value to 1. To do this, follow the steps in the "Registry information" section.
- In the Local Area Network (LAN) Settings dialog box for Internet Explorer 8, click to select the Use automatic configuration script check box, and then enter a URL path for the .ins file in the Address field.
- In the Local Area Network (LAN) Settings dialog box for Internet Explorer 8, click to clear the Automatically detect settings check box.
Registry informationImportant This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
- Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
- Locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl
- On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click Key.
- Type the following key name, and then press ENTER:FEATURE_AUTOCONFIG_BRANDING
- On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
- Type iexplore.exe, and then press ENTER.
- Right-click iexplore.exe, and then click Modify.
- In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
- Exit Registry Editor.
For more information, visit the following Microsoft Web sites:
ID articol: 973529 - Ultima examinare: 19 iul. 2012 - Revizie: 1