The Stop error message may also occur in video adapter drivers that do not represent a physical device. For example, this Stop error message may occur in the virtual video adapter driver that is used by Symantec PCAnywhere. If PCAnywhere is installed on a computer where this error message occurs, visit the Symantec Web site to determine whether there are any available fixes for your version of PCAnywhere.
The first four methods described in this article are for beginning to intermediate users. The final two methods deal with advanced troubleshooting and are designed for advanced users.
You may find it easier to follow the steps if you print this article first.
Method 1: Use the Windows Error Reporting toolUse the Windows Error Reporting Tool to send the error to Microsoft and determine of a fix or workaround is available. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Send Error Report when you are prompted to send the error report to Microsoft.
- If a fix or a workaround is available, click More Information. This helps you obtain the fix or information about how to work around the issue.
Method 2: Install the latest driver for your video adapterTo detect and to install the latest driver for your video adapter in Windows XP, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Method 3: Contact the video card manufacturer to obtain and install the latest driverThe driver is software that enables videos to be viewed on your computer. See the documentation that was included with your computer to determine the manufacturer for your video card. Then, use the links in the following list to find the contact information for your video card manufacturer in order to obtain and install the latest driver. For more information about hardware and software vendor contact information, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.
If this method worked, you are finished. If you continue to receive the stop error message, go to method 4.
Method 4: Replace your video cardFor information about how to replace your video card, please see the documentation that was included with your computer.
If this method worked, you are finished. If you continue to receive the stop error message, and you are comfortable trying advanced troubleshooting steps, go to the "Advanced troubleshooting" section.
If you are not comfortable with advanced troubleshooting, you might want to go to the “Next Steps” section for additional resources that may be able to help.
Advanced troubleshootingThese methods are intended for advanced computer users. If you are not comfortable with advanced troubleshooting, you might want to ask someone for help or contact Support. For information about how to contact Support, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Method 1: Disable or update device drivers
- View the Microsoft Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) to determine whether the PCI devices in the computer are compatible with Windows XP. For information about the hardware compatibility list, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
- Update the video adapter drivers to the latest versions.
- If a driver is listed by name in the Stop error message, disable or remove that driver.
- Disable or remove any drivers or services that you recently added.
If this method worked, you are finished. If you continue to receive the stop error message, go to method 2.
Method 2: Adjust the Hardware Acceleration
- Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Display.
- On the Settings tab, click Advanced, and then click the Troubleshoot tab.
- Move the Hardware Acceleration slider to None, and then click to clear the Enable write combining check box.
- Click OK, and then click OK.
- Searchable Knowledge Base: Search technical support information and self-help tools for Microsoft products.
- Solution Centers: View product-specific frequently asked questions and support highlights.
- Other Support Options: Use the Web to ask a question, contact Microsoft Customer Support Services, or provide feedback.
ID článku: 293078 – Posledná kontrola: 31. 5. 2013 – Revízia: 1