This article describes a method of disabling 8.3 file name creation on all NTFS partitions.
Note: Although disabling 8.3 file name creation increases file performance under Windows, some applications (16-bit, 32-bit, or 64-bit) may not be able to find files and directories that have long file names.
Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 8, and Windows Server 2012To disable 8.3 name creation on all NTFS partitions, type fsutil.exe behavior set disable8dot3 1 at an elevated command prompt, and then press Enter.
This operation takes effect immediately (no restart required).
When a volume is not specified, the operation updates the registry value:
- 0 - Enable 8dot3 name creation on all volumes on the system
- 1 - Disable 8dot3 name creation on all volumes on the system
- 2 - Set 8dot3 name creation on a per volume basis
- 3 - Disable 8dot3 name creation on all volumes except the system volume
- 0 - Enable 8dot3 name creation on this volume
- 1 - Disable 8dot3 name creation on this volume
For more information about FSUTIL.EXE 8dot3name, see the following TechNet article:
For more information about the registry setting to disable 8.3 names, see the following TechNet article:
Windows XP and Windows Server 2003To disable 8.3 name creation on all NTFS partitions, type fsutil.exe behavior set disable8dot3 1 at a command prompt, and then press Enter. A restart may not be required, but it is recommended.
Windows 2000 and Windows NTTo disable 8.3 name creation on all NTFS partitions, follow these steps.
Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
- Start Regedt32.exe and locate the following registry key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem
- Select the NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation entry.
Note By default, the value for this entry is set to 0.
- On the Edit menu, click DWORD. Type a value of 1 in the Data field.
- Click OK and then exit Regedt32.
- Exit Windows NT, and then shut down your computer.
- Restart your computer and Windows NT.
ID članka: 121007 – Zadnji pregled: 14. avg. 2015 – Revizija: 1