You can make this change by using the Adsiedit utility. Adsiedit not only changes the default way the Display Name field is built, but also the Full Name (that is, the "cn") field, therefore, users appear in the chosen format when you look in the Users and Computers snap-in.
ADSIEdit InstructionsWarning If you use the ADSI Edit snap-in, the LDP utility, or any other LDAP version 3 client, and you incorrectly modify the attributes of Active Directory objects, you can cause serious problems. These problems may require you to reinstall Microsoft Windows 2000 Server, Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server, Microsoft Exchange Server 2003, or both Windows and Exchange. Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems that occur if you incorrectly modify Active Directory object attributes can be solved. Modify these attributes at your own risk.
- Insert your Windows 2000 Server CD.
- Navigate to the \support\tools directory.
- Double-click on the Support.cab file.
- Locate the files adsiedit.msc and adsiedit.dll. Extract them to your %systemroot%\system32 directory.
- Run regsvr32 adsiedit.dll.
- Start Microsoft Management Console (MMC), and then add the ADSI Edit snap-in.
- Right-click the top node, and then click Connect to.
- Change the Naming Context to "Configuration Container," and then click OK to bind and authenticate.
- Expand the Configuration Container node, and then expand the Configuration node.
- Expand the cn=DisplaySpecifiers node, and then double-click CN=409.NOTE: 409 is the Locale ID for U.S. English. If you are in a multi-lingual environment, you may need to make changes to the other codes. Most of the Asian codes are already set.
The International Telecommunication Union (ITU) and International Organization for Standardization (ISO) define the code pages. For more information, visit the following ITU and ISO Web pages:For more information about supporting localized Exchange Clients, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:150977 Supporting localized Exchange clients
- In the right-hand pane, open the properties for "CN=user-Display".
- Scroll to the createDialog optional property.
- Set the attribute to %<sn>.%<givenName>. Make sure that you click Set.
Note The only tokens that can be formatted in the dislayName are %<sn>, %<givenName>, and %<initials>.
- Click OK to close the dialog box.
- In Active Directory Users and Computers, create a new User; the Full Name (and thus, the Display Name) are built in accordance with your rule.
For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
- The instructions show you how to modify user objects. There is a separate setting for Contacts--change step eleven to "contact-Display".
- You do not need to close the Users and Computers snap-in; changes are picked up automatically.
- In multi-domain controller environments, you may need to wait for replication to complete before the user interface picks up the changes.
รหัสบทความ: 250455 - การตรวจสอบครั้งสุดท้าย: 2 ธ.ค. 2007 - ฉบับแก้ไข: 1