Spell Checker does not recognize misspelled words in Word 2010
If you are a Small Business customer, find additional troubleshooting and learning resources at the Support for Small Business site.
Symptom 1Spell Checker does not recognize misspelled words in Word 2010
Symptom 2When you click the Spelling & Grammar button in the Proofing group on the Review tab in Word 2010, you receive one of the following messages:
- The spelling and grammar check is complete.
- Proofing Tools are not installed for default language, try re-installing proofing tools.
This may occur for any one of the following reasons:
- Proofing tools are not installed.
- The Speller EN-US add-in is disabled.
- The Do not check spelling or grammar check box is selected.
- Another language is set as default.
- The following subkey exists in the registry:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\ProofingTools\1.0\Override\en-US
To resolve this problem, complete the methods that are provided in this article in the order in which they are presented. If you have previously tried one of these methods, and it did not help to resolve the problem, you can skip that method and proceed to the next one.
Method 1: Install proofing tools
To install the proofing tools, follow these steps:
- Exit all programs.
- Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
- Follow the appropriate step for your operating system:
- In Windows 7, click Uninstall a program under Programs.
- In Windows Vista, double-click Programs and Features.
- In earlier versions of Windows, double-click Add or Remove Programs.
- Click Microsoft Office Edition, and then click Change.
Note In this step and in the following step, the placeholder Edition represents the Microsoft Office edition that is installed on the computer.
- In the Microsoft Office Edition dialog box, click Add or Remove Features, and then click Continue.
- Expand Office Shared Features, click the icon to the left of Proofing Tools, and then click Run all from My Computer.
Method 2: Enable the speller EN-US add-in
To enable the add-in, follow these steps:
- Click the File tab, and then click Options.
- On the left, click Add-Ins.
- At the bottom of the Word Options dialog box, click the drop-down arrow under Manage, change the selection from COM Add-ins to Disabled items, and then click Go.
- In the Disabled Items dialog box, check whether Speller EN-US (nlsdata0009.dll) is available in the Select the ones you which to re-enable box.
- If Speller EN-US (nlsdata0009.dll) is listed, click it, and then click Enable.
- Click Close, and then click OK.
Method 3: Enable Check Spelling as you type
To enable spell check as you type, follow these steps:
- Click the File tab, and then click Options.
- In the Word Options dialog box, click Proofing.
- Make sure that the Check spelling as you type check box is selected in the When correcting spelling and grammar in Word section.
- Make sure that all check boxes are cleared in the Exception for section.
- Click OK.
Method 4: Select language and clear "Do not check spelling or grammar"
To clear the "Do not check spelling or grammar check box, follow these steps:
- Select the entire contents of the document.
- On the Review tab, click Language in the Language group, and then click Set Proofing Language.
- In the Language dialog box, select the language that you want.
- If the Do not check spelling or grammar check box is selected, click to clear the check box.
- Click OK.
Method 5: Use Fix it to modify the registry
Important This article contains information about how to modify the registry. Make sure that you back up the registry before you modify it. Make sure that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up, restore, and modify the registry, click the following link to view the Windows Online article:Fix it for me" section. If you prefer to fix this problem yourself, go to the "Let me fix it myself" section.
Fix it for meTo fix this problem automatically, click the Fix it button or link. Click Run in the File Download dialog box, and then follow the steps in the Fix it wizard.
- This wizard may be in English only. However, the automatic fix also works for other language versions of Windows.
- If you are not on the computer that has the problem, save the Fix it solution to a flash drive or to a CD, and then run it on the computer that has the problem. Then, go to the "Did this fix the problem?" section.
Let me fix it myselfTo fix this problem yourself, follow these steps:
- Click Start, and then click Run.
- In the Run box, type regedit, and then press Enter.
- Locate and then right-click the following registry subkey:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing Tools\1.0\Override
- Click Delete.
- Exit Registry Editor.
- Exit and then restart Word.
Did this fix the problem?
- Check whether the problem is fixed. If the problem is fixed, you are finished with this section. If the problem is not fixed, you can contact Support.
- We would appreciate your feedback. To provide feedback or to report any issues with this solution, leave a comment on the "Fix it for me" blog, or send us an email message.
Does this problem occur in a different version of Microsoft Word?To learn how to resolve this problem in a different version of Microsoft Word, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
2662392 The spelling checker does not flag misspelled words in Word 2007
word 2010 spell fixit fixme fix it misspelled
文章識別碼：970826 - 最後檢閱時間：04/19/2013 07:46:00 - 修訂： 5.1
Microsoft Word 2010
- kbrapidpub kbnomt kbfixme kbmsifixme consumeroff2010track KB970826