Windows restarts automatically without notice after downloading and installing Windows Updates.
This issue can occur if a Windows policy has been set to automatically restart after Windows Updates are downloaded and installed.
To resolve this issue, check to see if a policy may be causing a restart after every update. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click the Start button, type gpedit.msc in the Search box then click on gpedit.msc in the search results. (If prompted to allow this program to make changes to your computer, click on Yes.)
- The Local Group Policy Editor box opens. Click on Local Computer Policy, then click on Computer Configuration, then click on Administrative Templates, then click on Windows Components, then click on Windows Update
* If the group policy setting for No auto-restart after scheduled automatic updates is listed as Not Configured, the policy has not been set and you should go to the Workaround section below and follow those steps.
* If the Policy setting for No auto-restart after scheduled automatic updates is listed as Enabled, continue with step 3 below.
- Double-click on No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic update installations which opens a dialogue box.
- Click the radio button next to Enabled then click OK.
- Reboot to allow the changes to take effect.