Step 1: Turn on your Surface and complete setup
Use the same Microsoft account you used on your original Surface. This lets you access your same settings, calendar, contacts, and email.
Step 2: Install updates
After setup is complete, install the latest updates for your Surface and Windows. To check for updates, select Settings > Update and security > Windows Update . For more info, see Install Surface and Windows updates.
After you've installed any available updates, restart your Surface, and then check for updates again. Repeat this until there are no more updates.
Also update your Microsoft Store app:
- Select the Start button, and then select Microsoft Store .
- Select the Profile menu or More , and then select Downloads and updates.
- Choose the Microsoft Store update and select Download now.
Step 3: Pair your Bluetooth accessories
After a replacement, you’ll need to pair your Bluetooth accessories with your Surface. For more information, see Connect a Bluetooth device in Windows.
If you’re having issues pairing your Bluetooth accessory, see Troubleshoot problems with your Microsoft Bluetooth mouse or keyboard.
Step 4: Restore your files
Add your files that you previously backed up, as described in How to prepare your Surface for service.
Video: Restore a backup to your Surface
This video is available in English only.
If you backed up your files to OneDrive, you can access them whenever you need them. For more info about using OneDrive, see OneDrive on your PC.
Restore files with File History or File Explorer
- File Explorer. You can copy files manually to your Documents, Videos, Pictures, and Music libraries from another storage location.
Step 5: Reinstall your apps
When you get a Surface back from our service center, you’ll need to reinstall your Windows apps and other software, like Microsoft Office.
Reinstall Windows apps
- Select the Start button, and then select Microsoft Store.
- Select More , and then select My Library.
- Choose the apps or games you want to install and select Download .
Reinstall Microsoft Office
When you're ready to reinstall Office, sign in at https://www.office.com/signin with the same Microsoft account you associated with your Office product when you first installed it. You can also find installation steps here:
Reinstall any other apps or programs
Install any other programs you used by either visiting the software developer’s site or by installing from the program CD you purchased.