How to get this update or hotfix
To fix this issue, we have released a security update for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2. And we have also released a hotifx for Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012.
Method 1: Security update for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2To fix this issue, install MS15-115: Description of the security update for Windows: November 10, 2015 (3101746).
Method 2: Hotfix package for Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012A supported hotfix is available from Microsoft Support. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing the problem described in this article. This hotfix might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next software update that contains this hotfix.
If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix.
Note If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, go to the following Microsoft website: Note The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.
Registry informationAfter you apply this update or hotfix, you must create and set the DisplayParameters registry value to enable this feature. To do this, follow these steps:
- Select Start > Run, type regedit, and then select OK.
- Locate and select the following registry subkey:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl
- Sekect Edit > New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Type DisplayParameters in the Name field and then press Enter.
- Press and hold (or right-click) DisplayParameters, and then click Modify.
- In the Value data box, type 1, and then select OK.
- 0 - Do not display the Stop error information
- 1 - Display the Stop error information
- Exit registry editor.
- Restart the computer for the change to take effect.