Windows Defender Security Center provides the Device performance & health page to help you keep your devices refreshed and up to date with the latest version of Windows 10. Device health advisor monitors your device and provides you with information and recommendations in a Health report to address common issues with your storage capacity, device drivers, battery life, or Windows Update.
Device performance & health also includes Fresh start, which is a feature that helps you refresh your device by reinstalling and updating Windows—for example, if your device has performance issues or you have too many unnecessary apps.
Use these performance and health features
In Windows Defender Security Center, open Device performance & health.
In Device performance & health, you’ll have the following features available:
- Health report. Tells you if there are any issues impacting the device health, such as storage capacity, devices, battery, or ability to update to the most recent version of Windows. It also provides recommendations about steps you can take to resolve these issues.
- Windows updates. Tells you whether you’re up to date with your versions of Windows, and—if you aren’t—alerts you with details about specific issues that could be causing your device to not be up to date.
- Storage capacity. Checks if your device has enough space to update Windows, and alerts you if there’s a recommended action.
- Device driver. Checks the drivers on your device to see if they’re functioning properly, and alerts you if there’s a recommended action.
- Battery life. Checks the impact of the brightness level and sleep settings on the battery life, and alerts you if there is a recommended action to maximize your battery life.
- Fresh start. Lets you perform a clean reinstallation and update of Windows while keeping your personal data and most Windows settings intact. Fresh start will remove most of your apps from your device. In some cases, a clean installation may improve your device's startup and shutdown experience, memory usage, Microsoft Store apps performance, browsing experience, and battery life.
Install a clean version of Windows 10
To use Fresh start, select Additional info, and then select Get Started. You can also see the last time you ran Fresh start and a list of the apps that were removed so you know which apps to reinstall.
Keep these important points in mind before you begin a Fresh start:
- Microsoft recommends that you back up your files before making changes like a clean installation of Windows to your device.
- Fresh start will remove all apps that don't come standard with Windows, including other Microsoft apps such as Office, third-party antivirus software, and desktop apps that came pre-installed on your device. It will also remove all other Windows Desktop apps installed by your device’s manufacturer, such as your manufacturer's apps, support apps, and drivers. It will keep only Microsoft Store apps installed by your manufacturer.
- You will not be able to recover removed apps and you will need to manually reinstall these apps later if you want to keep using them.
- Make sure that you have access to all reinstallation media (such as CDs), product keys, license or login information, or other materials needed to manually reinstall and reactivate the apps or app-related content you want to keep using.
- You may lose your digital licenses, digital content associated with apps, or other digital entitlements for apps, which may impact your ability to use apps or app-related content you paid for.
- Make sure you meet the system requirements. Learn more at Windows 10 Specifications.
- If you just purchased a new device that includes Office 365, please see Download and install Office 365 Home, Personal, or University on your PC for information about reinstalling Microsoft Office after the clean installation of Windows. If you have Office 2010 or earlier, you will need to locate your Office product key. For tips on locating your product key, check Find your Office 2010 product key or enter the product key for your Office 2007 program.