If you have just installed Office 365, and you're on the default Semi-Annual update channel, you might have a reason to move to the Monthly update channel. For example, a fix or a new feature has been released, and you want to move to the Monthly Channel to receive it.
To switch from the Semi-Annual Channel to the Monthly Channel, follow these steps:
- Identify the value of the CDNBaseURL registry key for the channel that you want to switch to. To learn how, see this Docs article.
- Start Notepad, paste the following script into Notepad, and then save the file by using a .bat extension:
Note In the following script, notice that the value of CDNBaseURL is set to the URL of the Monthly channel that’s identified in step 1. If you want to switch to a different channel, you can use the appropriate URL from the referenced article in step 1.
setlocalreg query HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\Configuration\ /v CDNBaseUrlif %errorlevel%==0 (goto SwitchChannel) else (goto End):SwitchChannelreg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\Configuration /v CDNBaseUrl /t REG_SZ /d "http://officecdn.microsoft.com/pr/492350f6-3a01-4f97-b9c0-c7c6ddf67d60" /freg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\Configuration /v UpdateUrl /freg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\Configuration /v UpdateToVersion /freg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\Updates /v UpdateToVersion /freg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\OfficeUpdate\ /f:EndEndlocal
- Right-click the script file, and then click Run as administrator.
- Start an Office application (such as Excel), and then select File > Account.
- In the Product Information section, select Update Options > Update Now.
Note This sample script is provided "as is" with no warranty or support from Microsoft. It's a demonstration, and is used for informational purposes only. The script has not been rigorously tested in all environments and doesn't contain error handling. You must make it "production ready" if you use it in any development solution.