To fix this issue, disable the restriction on opening documents of certain types.
To disable this restriction in Word 2007, change the value of the FileOpenBlock subkey.
To have us disable this restriction for you, go to the "Fix it for me
" section. If you would rather enable Windows Installer logging yourself, go to the "Let me fix it myself
Fix it forme
To automatically disable or enable the file restriction, click the Fix this problem
link for the Disable or Enable restriction. Then, click Run
in theFile Download
dialog box, and then follow the steps in this wizard.
These wizards may be in English only. However, the automatic fix also works for other language versions of Windows.Note
If you are not on the computer that has the problem, you can save the automatic fix to a flash drive or to a CD. Then, you can run it on the computer that has the problem.
Let me fix it myself
To disable or enable the file restriction yourself, follow these steps:
- Click Start, clickRun, type regedit in theOpen box, and then clickOK.
- Locate and then click the followingregistry subkey:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Security\FileOpenBlockIfthe FileOpenBlock subkey does not exist, you must create it. To do this, followthese steps:
- Select theSecurity subkey.
- On theEdit menu, point to New, and then clickKey.
- TypeFileOpenBlock, and then press ENTER.
- After you select the subkey that isspecified in step 3, locate the DWORD value.
Note If this value does not exist, you must create it. Todo this, follow these steps:
You may check the different DWORD values in the "More Information" section of this article based on the version of Word that you are running. For example, if the opening of files that were saved in earlier file formats is restricted, locate the FilesBeforeVersion DWORD value in the registry for the FileOpenBlock subkey. When you change the value of FilesBeforeVersion from 1 to 0, you can open files that were saved in earlier file formats.
- On the Edit menu, point toNew, and then click DWORDValue.
- Type the DWORD value for which you want todisable the restriction, and then press ENTER. For example, typeFilesBeforeVersion.
- Right-click the DWORD value that you want, andthen click Modify.
- In the Valuedata box, type 0, and then clickOK.
- On the File menu,click Exit to exit RegistryEditor.
Download the Administrative Template files and Office Customization Tool from the following websites:Office 2013 Administrative Template files (ADM, ADMX/ADML) and Office Customization ToolOffice 2010 Administrative Template files (ADM, ADMX/ADML) and Office Customization Tool2007 Office system (SP2) Administrative Template files (ADM, ADMX, ADML) and Office Customization ToolNote
This update provides updated Group Policy template files either to enable an override of the files that are blocked by default or to block additional file types. The opening of the following file types can be controlled through Word 2013 and Word 2010: File Block Settings
Word 2007: Block opening of files before version
- Word 2007 and later documents and templates
- OpenDocument text files
- Word 2007 and later binary documents and templates
- Word 2003 binary documents and templates
- Word 2003 and plain XML documents
- Word XP binary documents and templates
- Word 2000 binary documents and templates
- Word 97 binary documents and templates
- Word 95 binary documents and templates
- Word 6.0 binary documents and templates
- Word 2 and earlier binary documents and templates
- RTF files
- Plain text files
- Legacy converters for Word
- Open XML converters for Word
- PDF files (available for Word 2013 only)
- Word 1.x for Windows
- Word 4.x for Macintosh
- Word 1.2 for Windows Japan
- Word 1.2 for Windows Korea Word 5.x for Macintosh
- Word 1.2 for Windows Taiwan Word 2.x for Windows
- Word 2.x for Windows BiDi Word 2.x for Windows Japan Word 2.x for Windows Korea
- Word 2.x for Windows Taiwan Word 6.0 for Windows
- Word 6.0 for Macintosh Word 95 Released Word 95 Beta
- Word 97 for Windows Word 98 for Macintosh Word 2001 for Macintosh
- Word X for Macintosh Word 2000 Word 2002
- Word 2003 Word 2004 for Macintosh
- Word 2003 as saved by Word 2007
The file type can be selected only if the Enabled
option is selected to select a file type.