Skype released Skype 5.10 for Windows on August 14, 2012, which comes with some new functionalities and features to enhance the Skype experience. The update includes:
- Voice and video calling your Facebook friends from Skype
- Finding your Facebook contacts more easily and faster with the new contacts lists
- Tagging the contacts you talk to most often as Favorites
In order to make it simple and fast for Skype users to upgrade to the latest version of Skype for Windows, we have integrated Skype into Microsoft Updates. If you have Skype installed on your PC already, either directly from www.skype.com
or a pre-installed version on your PC, you will receive the latest version of Skype through Microsoft Updates.
To check if Skype is already installed on your PC
- Click the Start button, click Run, type regedit in the Run window, and then click OK.
- On the left hand pane of the Registry Editor window, find HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Skype\Phone.
- If the registry key exists, click the Phone folder.
- In the right hand pane of the Registry Editor window, you should see an entry entitled SkypePath. The value under the Data field will tell you exactly where on your computer Skype is installed.
- If the key, SkypePath, does not exist, check if it exists in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Skype\Phone. Repeat steps 3-4.
If the HKEY_CURRENT_USER key does not exist but the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key is present, Skype has been installed from an administrator account but not been used from the current account.
If you’re planning to upgrade from an earlier version of Skype for Windows, you can learn more
about the updates on the Skype Garage blog. The Archives section of the blog contains detailed information on previous updates. The Skype Garage blog is available in English only.
There are two ways to get the update*:
- Via Windows Update:
- Via the Update function in the Skype application:
- In the menu bar, select Help > Check for Updates.
- After checking the version, click Download, then click Upgrade.
*Skype will automatically be updated only on PCs where Skype is already present. It will not be automatically installed on any PC that doesn’t already have Skype.
How can I install the latest version of Skype for Windows?
To install Skype 5.10 for Windows:
- Download the latest version
from the Skype web site.
- Click Run to run Skype directly from your browser.
- Follow the steps in the setup wizard to complete the installation.
- Open Skype and sign in by entering your Skype Name
For more information about Skype, click here
Article ID: 2727727 - Last Review: April 15, 2013 - Revision: 5.1
- Microsoft Windows Update
- Microsoft Update