Microsoft released Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 Update 1 (Visual Studio 2012.1) on November 26, 2012. This article lists the new features and fixed issues in Visual Studio 2012 Update 1.
How to obtain Visual Studio 2012 Update 1
You can download and install this release of the Visual Studio update from the Microsoft Download Center. The following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
For more information about how to download Microsoft support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to obtain Microsoft support files from online services
Microsoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.
To obtain other Visual Studio 2012 updates, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Overview of Visual Studio 2012 Updates
You do not have to restart your computer after you install this package.
About this update
Visual Studio 2012 Update 1 provides updates for the following versions:
- Chinese (Simplified)
- Chinese (Traditional)
- Portuguese (Brazil)
Supported operating systems
For more information about the supported operating systems, go to the following Microsoft website:
- 32-bit (x86)
- 64-bit (x64) (WOW64)
- 1.6 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor
- 1 gigabyte GB of RAM (1.5 GB if running in a virtual machine)
- 1 GB of available hard-disk space
- 5,400 RPM hard disk drive
- DirectX 9-capable video card that is running at 1024 × 768 or a higher resolution
You must have one of the supported Visual Studio 2012 programs that are listed in the "Applies to" section installed to apply this update.
Support for Visual Studio 2012 Update 1
Formal support of Visual Studio 2012 Update 1 is available through the Microsoft Support website
Informal community support for Visual Studio 2012 Update 1 is available through the Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) forums
New features and fixed issues in Visual Studio 2012 Update 1
Microsoft SharePoint development
To improve quality, scalability and agility, additional application life cycle management (ALM) capabilities are added to SharePoint development, such as load testing and coded UI testing support.
- IntelliTrace collection for SharePoint applications
This feature can change and access data, and provides a rich analysis experience for SharePoint applications.
- The ability to create coded UI testing for SharePoint 2010 applications
These tests simulate user interaction and validate the functionality and behavior of an application’s UI.
- Web performance testing
Web performance testing on SharePoint solutions can verify performance. The tests can be recorded, and then run and analyzed against the SharePoint solutions.
- Load testing support for SharePoint applications
This feature enables stress testing of a SharePoint application. It can simulate high user loads, different network topologies, and some other conditions.
- SharePoint emulators provide the basic behavior of the SharePoint 2010 server object model
SharePoint emulators provide a Microsoft Fakes framework. The framework enables developers to write unit tests that stub-out the required SharePoint dependencies.
- Enable Windows XP targeting for building Visual C++ applications
You can target Windows XP by using Visual Studio’s C++ multi-targeting feature. This feature enables you to use the Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 compiler in Visual Studio 2012.
- Windows Store C++ unit testing improvements
You can add references to C++ Windows Store executables and custom Extensible Application Markup Language (XAML) controls in your C++ Windows Store unit test libraries.
- Support for debugging the ARM-based native dump file
You can debug dump files of native C++ apps from ARM-based computers and devices with the same dump-debugging functionality that you are accustomed to on x86-based or x64-based computers.
- Support for debugging mixed managed and native Windows Store apps
You can use Web Access for your Agile plan easily, and new Kanban support is available alongside existing Scrum support.
New test features in Microsoft Test Manager (MTM)
- Code coverage for web applications in MTM
Testers can now know how much of the application code is being covered by test cases executed within MTM, and developers can now know whether their code is being accessed by the application and is a valid test case.
- Cross browser testing support for coded UI test
You can use coded UI tests help automate browser based applications that are built on Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome.
- Create an image action log from exploratory tests
- Populate test suites using hierarchical queries in MTM
- Directly edit test case properties from the Test Runner of MTM
- Data collectors populate Trait information for Visual Studio unit test grouping
You can now organize and filter the test runs based on several conditions in Test Explorer. Traits is a new concept, a common denominator for several underlying terms: Test Category, Test Property, Priority, and Owner.
- The ability to pause and resume manual test sessions in MTM
- Automatic updates for MTM and Microsoft Feedback Client
Usability improvements for coded UI testing
No need to manually install SQL Server Express for load testing (By default, use LocalDB)
- Use command-line functionality to deep copy test plans to better support release management
- Publish test results to Team Foundation Server (TFS) from the command line
New features in Team Foundation Server
Article ID: 2797915 - Last Review: April 5, 2013 - Revision: 8.0
- Microsoft Visual Studio Premium 2012
- Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2012
- Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2012 for Web
- Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows 8
- Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Desktop
- Microsoft Visual Studio Ultimate 2012
- Microsoft Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2012
- Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Phone
|kbsurveynew kbexpertiseadvanced kbqfe atdownload KB2797915|