When you run the RegClean utility after you install one of the products listed in the "Applies to" section, you may experience one of the following symptoms:
- The RegClean utility finds errors in the System Registry, and you receive the option to Fix Errors in the RegClean utility.
- When you install a Microsoft Office program whose installation state is Installed on First Use and then double-click a document that is associated with that program, the Office program may not start. Instead, the Open With dialog box appears and the Office program is not listed.
This issue occurs because the
RegClean utility is not compatible with the products listed in the "Applies to" section. This issue occurs for any Microsoft Windows Installer product on which the program's installation state is set to Installed on First Use.
To resolve this issue, try the following methods in the order that they appear in.
Method 1: Undo the Registry Changes from RegClean
To undo changes made by the RegClean utility, locate the Undo.reg file, and then double-click the Undo.reg file. This restores the registry entries that were removed.
RegClean utility creates a file in the following format:
In this example, computer
is the computer name, yyyymmdd
is the date that the RegClean utility made the registry changes, and hhmmss
is the time that the RegClean utility made the registry changes.
Method 2: Demand Install the Office Program
If this issue occurs when you double-click a document from Microsoft Windows Explorer and the document should be associated with an Office program whose installation state is Installed on First Use
, follow these steps:
- Click Start, and then click Programs.
- On the Programs menu, click the shortcut for the Office program that you want to start--for example, click Microsoft Word.
The Office program is installed, and then you can double-click the associated document from Windows Explorer.
Method 3: Remove and Reinstall Office
You may have to remove and reinstall Office to resolve the issue. To do this, follow these steps:
- In Control Panel, double-click Add/Remove Programs.
- In the Add/Remove Programs Properties dialog box, click the Office entry--for example, click Microsoft Office XP Professional.
If your operating system is Microsoft Windows 2000 or Microsoft Windows XP, click Remove.
If your operating system is Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me), follow these steps:
- Click Add/Remove
- In the Maintenance Mode Options dialog box, click Uninstall Office.
- Click Next.
- Click Yes to confirm the removal.
- When Office is removed, insert your Office CD-ROM, and then run the Setup program to reinstall Office.
The RegClean utility is no longer supported and has been removed from all Microsoft download sites.
Article ID: 299958 - Last Review: September 12, 2011 - Revision: 5.0
- Microsoft Office Basic 2007
- Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007
- Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007
- Microsoft Office Professional 2007
- Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007
- Microsoft Office Standard 2007
- Microsoft Office Ultimate 2007
- Microsoft Office Access 2007
- Microsoft Office Excel 2007
- Microsoft Office InfoPath 2007
- Microsoft Office OneNote 2007
- Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007
- Microsoft Office Project Professional 2007
- Microsoft Office Project Standard 2007
- Microsoft Office Publisher 2007
- Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer 2007
- Microsoft Office Visio Professional 2007
- Microsoft Office Outlook 2007
- Microsoft Office Visio Standard 2007
- Microsoft Office Word 2007
- Microsoft Office Small Business Edition 2003
- Microsoft Office Access 2003
- Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2003
- Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003
- Microsoft Office Basic Edition 2003
- Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
- Microsoft Office Publisher 2003
- Microsoft Office 2000 Premium Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Small Business Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Developer Edition
- Microsoft Access 2002 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Excel 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft FrontPage 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Outlook 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Word 2000
- Microsoft Office Home and Student 2010
- Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010
- Microsoft Office Standard 2010
- Microsoft Office Professional 2010
- Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010
- Microsoft Access 2010
- Microsoft Excel 2010
- Microsoft Infopath 2010
- Microsoft OneNote 2010
- Microsoft Outlook 2010
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2010
- Microsoft Publisher 2010
- Microsoft Word 2010
- Microsoft Project Professional 2010
- Microsoft Project Standard 2010
- Microsoft Visio Standard 2010
- Microsoft Visio Professional 2010
- Microsoft Visio Premium 2010
- Microsoft SharePoint Workspace 2010