You can use Microsoft Word to create complex documents.
Books and other large documents occasionally require different page number
formats in different sections of one document. For example, you can number the
index pages with Roman numerals (for example, "i.", "ii.", "iii.") and the main
document with Arabic numerals (for example, "1", "2", "3"). This article
describes how to set up different page numbering formats.
Format Page Numbering
To format the page numbering for different sections, follow these
- Click between two parts of your document that you want to
- On the Insert menu, click Break.
- Click Next Page, Even Page, or Odd Page, and then click OK.
For Help on an option, click the question mark, and
then click the option.
- Click in the first section.
- On the View menu, click Header and Footer.
- Click in the header or footer where you want the page
- On the Header and Footer toolbar, click Insert Page Number.
- On the Header and Footer toolbar, click Format Page Number.
- In the Number format box, click the format
that you want for the numbers in this section.
- Do one of the following:
- If you want the page numbering for the first page in
this section to start at a particular number other than the first number in the
format series, click Start at under Page
numbering, and then enter the first number that you want to appear on
the first page of the section.
- If you want the page numbering to continue from the
previous section, click Continue from previous
- Click OK.
- On the Header and Footer toolbar, click Show Next.
- Repeat steps 8 through 11 for the page numbering in this
- On the Header and Footer toolbar, click Close.
For more information about page numbering, click Microsoft Word Help
menu, type page numbering
in the Office Assistant or the Answer Wizard, and then click Search
to view the topic.
Article ID: 326536 - Last Review: February 1, 2007 - Revision: 3.2
- Microsoft Word 2002 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Word 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Word 2004 for Mac
- Microsoft Word X for Mac
- Microsoft Word 2001 for Mac
|kbnumbering kbformat kbhowtomaster KB326536|