Controlled folder access in Windows Defender Security Center reviews the apps that can make changes to files in protected folders. Occasionally, an app that is safe to use will be identified as harmful. This happens because Microsoft wants to keep you safe and will sometimes err on the side of caution; however, this might interfere with how you normally use your PC. You can add an app to the list of safe or allowed apps to prevent them from being blocked.
- Select Start > Settings .
- Choose Update & security > Windows Defender.
- Select Open Windows Defender Security Center.
- Select Virus & threat protection, and then choose Virus & threat protection settings.
- Under Controlled folder access, turn it on or off.
Article ID: 4046851 - Last Review: Oct 27, 2017 - Revision: 11