Designed by media lovers for media lovers. Windows Media Player 12—available as part of Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10*—plays more music and video than ever, including Flip Video and unprotected songs from your iTunes library! Organize your digital media collection, sync digital media files to a portable device, shop online for digital media content, and more—with Windows Media Player 12.
Streamlined playback modes
The Now Playing mode is a study in minimalism: It shows only the controls you need, so nothing comes between you and your music or video. A new taskbar thumbnail with playback controls makes previewing easier and more fun.
Plays more media in more places
Windows Media Player 12 has built-in support for many popular audio and video formats. Sync music, videos, and photos, or stream media to your devices so you can enjoy your library anywhere, at home or on the road.
For info about the latest version for your system, see Get Windows Media Player.
To manually troubleshoot or upgrade your installation of the Player, try the following:
- Click the Start button, type features, and then select Turn Windows features on or off.
- Expand Media Features and see whether the Windows Media Player check box is selected. If it is, clear the check box.
- Click OK and then restart your PC. This will remove your current version of Windows Media Player.
- After your PC has restarted, repeat step 1.
- Expand Media Features and select the Windows Media Player check box.
- Click OK and then restart your PC. This will reinstall the latest version of Windows Media Player for your system (Windows Media Player 12, with a few exceptions).
Windows Media Player isn't available for Windows RT 8.1.