This article describes the issues that are fixed in Update Rollup 5 for Microsoft System Center (SC) 2016 Virtual Machine Manager (VMM). There are two updates available for Virtual Machine Manager, one for the Virtual Machine Manager server and one for the Administrator Console. This article also contains the installation instructions for this update.
Issues that are fixed
- The VMM console starts slowly when the console is started by a delegated administrator.
- The user cannot graphically view storage performance of hosts in the VMM console overview.
- Empty source folders are not deleted after storage migration.
- Update remediation on Hyper-V hosts, clusters, or infrastructure servers that are non-compliant with a defined WSUS baseline times out if the job takes longer than 40 minutes. The timeout is changed to 120 minutes.
- VM migration between two clusters fails when the source file share is not registered with the destination cluster, and permissions have been provided out of band and vice versa.
- The MAC Address type of the VM is displayed incorrectly for tenant users.
- VM live migration incorrectly shows the “NoAvailableNetworkOptimization” warning.
- Importing physical resources in the SCVMM library fails when the library is a file server.
- A user cannot create a Virtual IP template when the request path for the TCP health probe is left blank.
- Deleting a Test FailOver VM that has a checkpoint deletes the base disk of a replica VM.
- A user cannot fetch Virtual fiber channel adapter objects by using the PowerShell cmdlet Get-SCVirtualFibreChannelAdapter.
- Interactive login used by VMM stores the user credentials. Interactive login is now disabled.
- The VMM console crashes when a user tries to open a service template that was created by copying another VMM service template.
- The VMM console does not show the Dynamic MAC address in the VM network adapter properties for tenant users.
- The VMM console crashes for a non-administrator user if the user role is not scoped to “All Hosts.”
- VMM overwrites the Public IP Address Resource reference property set on the Network Interface Network Controller object out of band.
- Checkpoint creation for Network Controller managed VMs fails if the NIC has port classification.
- VMM ASR compatibility guidance: For using use SCVMM integrated with ASR, this update supports version 5.1.3100 and later versions of Microsoft Azure Site Recovery Provider (also known as DRA). Older versions are not supported.
To upgrade DRA, follow these steps:
Uninstall the existing version of DRA.
Install Update Rollup 5 (this update).
Install version 5.1.3100 or a later version of DRA.
Note Because updates for System Center 2016 Virtual Machine Manager are cumulative, this update includes all the improvements and fixes that are included in the previous cumulative update. For more information, see Update Rollup 4 for System Center 2016 Virtual Machine Manager.
How to obtain and install Update Rollup 5 for System Center 2016 Virtual Machine Manager
Update packages for Virtual Machine Manager are available from Microsoft Update or by manual download.
To obtain and install an update package from Microsoft Update, follow these steps on a computer that has a Virtual Machine Manager component installed:
- Select Start, and then select Control Panel.
- In Control Panel, double-click Windows Update.
- In the Windows Update window, select Check Online for updates from Microsoft Update.
- Select Important updates are available.
- Select the update rollup package, and then select Ok.
- Select Install updates to install the update package.
Go to the following websites to manually download the update packages from the Microsoft Update Catalog:
To manually install the update packages, run the following command from an elevated command prompt:
msiexec.exe /update packagename
For example, to install the Update Rollup 5 package for System Center 2016 Virtual Machine Manager Server (KB4094925), run the following command:
msiexec.exe /update kb4094925_vmmserver_amd64.msp
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.