Microsoft .NET Framework 4.8
The September 24, 2019, update for Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 includes cumulative reliability improvements in Microsoft .NET Framework 4.8. We recommend that you apply this update as part of your regular maintenance routines. Before you install this update, see the Prerequisites and Restart requirement sections.
- Starting in August 2019, updates to .NET Framework 4.6 and later for Windows Server 2008 SP2, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, and Windows 7 SP1 require SHA-2 code signing support. To avoid installation issues, make sure that you have all the latest Windows updates installed before you apply this update. For more information about SHA-2 code signing support updates, see KB 4474419.
Quality and reliability improvements
1 Base Class Library (BCL)
2 Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF)
3 Common Language Runtime (CLR)
Additional information about this update
- 4516551 Description of the Preview of Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 3.5.1, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, 4.7.1, 4.7.2, 4.8 for Windows 7 SP1 and WIndows Server 2008 R2 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 (KB4516551)
How to obtain and install the update
Method 1: Windows Update
This update is available through Windows Update. When you turn on automatic updating, this update will be downloaded and installed automatically. For more information about how to get security updates, see Windows Update: FAQ.
Method 2: Microsoft Update Catalog
To get the standalone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.
Method 3: Windows Software Update Services (WSUS)
On your WSUS server, follow these steps:
- Select Start, select Administrative Tools, and then select Microsoft Windows Server Update Services 3.0.
- Expand ComputerName, and then select Action.
- Select Import Updates.
- WSUS opens a browser window in which you may be prompted to install an ActiveX control. You must install the ActiveX control to continue.
- After the ActiveX control is installed, you see the Microsoft Update Catalog screen. Enter 4516551 into the Search box, and then select Search.
- Locate the .NET Framework packages that match the operating systems, languages, and processors in your environment. Select Add to add them to your basket.
- After you select all the packages that you require, select View Basket.
- To import the packages to your WSUS server, select Import.
- After the packages are imported, select Close to return to WSUS.
The updates are now available for installation through WSUS.
To apply this update, you must have .NET Framework 4.8 installed.
You must restart the computer after you apply this update if any affected files are being used. We recommend that you exit all .NET Framework-based applications before you apply this update.
Update replacement information
This update replaces previously released updates 4512193.