If your Surface isn’t working properly, the Microsoft Surface Diagnostic Toolkit can help you find and solve problems.
The Surface Diagnostic Toolkit doesn't work on Surface Pro or Surface Pro 2. It works only on other Surface devices running Windows 10.
Run the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit
Before you run the diagnostic tool, make sure you have the latest Windows updates. Go to Install Surface updates for more info. If that doesn't solve the problem, you'll need to run the diagnostic tool.
If your work or school manages your Surface, check with their IT department before running the tool.
To run the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit:
- Get your devices ready and gather information.
- Make sure your Surface is connected to the internet. If you’re having Wi-Fi problems, go to Surface can't find my wireless network.
- Save all of your files and close all open apps and programs.
- Plug your Surface in and keep it connected to power during this process.
- Find out which version of Windows you have. Go to Which Windows operating system am I running?
- Make sure you know your serial number. Go to Find the serial number on Surface devices.
- Download the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit that matches your version of Windows:
- Download the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit for Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Pro and in the file download dialog box, find the SurfaceDiagnosticToolkit_SA.exe file.
- Download the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit for Windows 10 in S mode.
- Select Run, and follow the on-screen instructions.
The diagnosis and repair time usually averages 15 minutes or less, but could take an hour or longer, depending on internet connection speed, whether updates need to be installed on your device, and the repairs the tool must do.
If you still need help
If the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit didn’t fix the problem, you can also:
- Make an in-store appointment: If you're located in the US, PR, CA, UK AU, you may be able to visit a Microsoft Store to repair your Surface. Use the Store locator tool to find the store nearest you.
- Contact customer support: If you want to talk to someone about how to fix your problem, contact us.
- Get your Surface serviced: If your Surface product needs service, request it online.
Or you can find more troubleshooting info in our support content:
Hardware and accessories
- Surface devices help
- Surface Type Cover or keyboard
- Troubleshoot Microsoft Surface Pen
- Fix printer connection and printing problems in Windows 10
- Surface won't turn on or wake from sleep
- Surface battery won’t charge or Surface won’t run on battery on Windows 10
Note Some products might not be available in your country or region.
Some products might not be available in your country or region.