Follow these steps to automatically diagnose and repair Windows security problems by turning on UAC, DEP protection, Windows Firewall, and other Windows security options and features.
- Select the Download button on this page.
- In the File Download dialog box, click Run or Open, and then follow the steps in the Windows Security Troubleshooter.
- This troubleshooter might be in English only. However, the automatic fix also works for versions of Windows in other languages.
- If you’re not on the computer that has the problem, save the troubleshooter to a flash drive or a CD, and then run it on the computer that has the problem.
What it fixes
- Checks the following Windows security features and enables them if needed
- Phishing Filter or Smartscreen Filter
- User Account Control (UAC)
- Data Execution Prevention (DEP)
- Windows Firewall
- Antivirus protection status and updates
- Windows 7
- Windows 8
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 10
Article ID: 17601 - Last Review: Jun 7, 2016 - Revision: 12