Consider the following scenario:
- You use a laptop that is running Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10.
- The laptop has an external LCD monitor attached.
- You press Windows logo key+P to switch to the "Duplicate" or "Extend" display mode.
- You press Windows logo key+P again, and then you make the following selection:
- In Windows 8, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10: Second screen only
- In Windows 7: Projector only
- You close and then reopen the laptop lid.
In this scenario, the display mode reverts to the "Duplicate" or "Extend," depending on which was selected before you changed to "Second screen only" or "Projector only."