Consider the following Scenario:
- On Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 2008 systems with Office 2007 or Office 2010 installed and Internet Explorer 7 or Internet Explorer 8, you attempt to open files from a SharePoint site using a Fully Qualified Domain Name (a URL including ‘.’ in the site name).
- SharePoint 2007 or 2010 is hosted on Windows 2008 or 2008 R2 Server with WebDav enabled.
- The SharePoint 2007 or 2010 site is setup to use Windows Authentication.
- Users of the SharePoint site are expecting Client Integration (being able to edit and save directly back to the server) to be functional.
In this scenario, a user may see one or more of the following symptoms:
- The user is prompted unexpectedly to enter their credentials.
- The Office document will open in Read Only.
- When opening SharePoint Explorer View an error will occur showing the path to the Document Library and a message of "Not Implemented".
- When trying to save from Office back to a SharePoint site directly doing a Save As will not be an option. The SharePoint directory will not populate in the Save As dialog box.
- When opening the document read only and then clicking on the Edit Document button, the user may see this error: "A problem occurred while connecting to the server. If the problem continues, contact your administrator."
WebDAV Publishing should not reside on a SharePoint Server if the server is Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2. If the server is acting as a WebDAV Publishing server then SharePoint should be installed on its own server.
To remove WebDAV Publishing follow the below instructions:
Windows Server 2008:
- Uninstall Microsoft WebDAV 7.5 For IIS 7.0 http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=8A47D609-8D95-4E1A-B2F2-2303E7E10EDC&displaylang=en component by going into Control Panel->Programs and Features and choosing Uninstall.
- After removing the component then go into Server Manager Roles->Web Server IIS section->Remove Role Services->Uncheck WebDAV Publishing if it is checked. This will require a reboot of the Server.
Windows Server 2008 R2:
- In Server Manager go to Roles->Web Server IIS section->Remove Role Services->Uncheck WebDAV Publishing if it is checked. This will require a reboot of the Server.