Note No one method of protection is a total guarantee that your installation of Microsoft Word will not be affected by a macro virus.
Method 1: Install and update antivirus softwareFor a long-term solution to macro viruses, install antivirus software that is specifically designed to detect macro viruses.
Note After you install an antivirus software program, you must keep it updated to ensure that new macro viruses are detected and removed. For more information about updating your antivirus software program, please contact your antivirus software vendor.
For more information about hardware and software vendor contact information, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Method 2: Set a security level in Microsoft WordMicrosoft Word offers the following levels of security to reduce the chances that a macro virus will infect your documents, templates, or add-ins.
Follow these steps in Microsoft Word to change the security level:
- On the Tools menu, point to Macro, and then click Security.
- On the Security Level tab, select the security level that you want, and then click OK.
Method 3: Lock the global template (Normal.dot)Follow these steps to lock your global template (Normal.dot) with a password to reduce the possibility of unauthorized access by a macro virus:
- On the Tools menu, point to Macro, and then click Visual Basic Editor.
- In the Visual Basic Editor, click to select This Document in the Project window.
Note If the Project window does not appear, click Project Explorer on the View menu.
- On the Tools menu, click Project Properties.
- On the Protection tab, click to select the Lock project for viewing check box.
- Type a password in the Password box.
- Type the same password in the Confirm password box.
- Click OK.
- On the File menu, click Close and return to Microsoft Word.
- In Microsoft Word, hold SHIFT and click Save All on the File menu.
- If the following message appears, click Yes.Changes have been made that affect the global template, Normal.dot. Do you want to save those changes?
Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.
Article ID: 233396 - Last Review: Jun 9, 2009 - Revision: 1