- Use Registry Editor to manually delete either the RecentURLList key or the RecentFileList key.
- Use the Clear History feature in Windows Media Player 9 Series.
Using Registry EditorImportant This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
To remove the play list entries:
- Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
- Locate, and then click the following registry key:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Player\RecentFileList
- If you are using Windows Media Player 6.4, click
RecentURLList, and then click Delete on the
If you are using either Windows Media Player 7, 7.1, or Windows Media Player for Windows XP, click
RecentFileList, and then click Delete on the
- Quit Registry Editor.
Remove Items from the RegistryTo remove items from the play list, you can clear either of the following registry keys:
- To remove content that has been streamed from a particular Web site, clear the following registry key:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Player\RecentURLList
- To remove the entire file list that you recently played, clear the following registry key:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Player\RecentFileList
Removing recent entries in Windows Media Player 9 and 10 series
- Click Options under the
- Click the Privacy tab.
- Click the Clear History button to clear Windows Media Player's recently played files list.
- If you are using Windows Media Player 9, click the
Clear CD/DVD button to clear Windows Media Player's recently played CD and DVD list.
- If you are using Windows Media Player 10, click the
Clear Caches button to clear Windows Media Player's recently played CD and DVD list.