This article introduces an update to the Segoe UI symbol font in Windows 7 and in Windows Server 2008 R2. This update adds support for emoji characters and some control glyphs that are included in Windows 8 and in Windows Server 2012.
Note Emoji characters come from emoji-capable platforms and devices. The platforms or devices enable users to easily insert emoji characters into documents, email messages, or chat conversations by using an emoji picker feature or an emoji palette feature. In Windows 8 or in Windows Server 2012, these characters are inserted by using the on-screen keyboard.
For more information about the code points of the new added emoji characters, go to the following Unicode website:
How to obtain this update
Microsoft UpdateThis update is available from the Microsoft Update website:
Microsoft Download CenterThe following files are available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
|All supported x86-based versions of Windows 7||Download the update package now.|
|All supported x64-based versions of Windows 7||Download the update package now.|
|All supported x64-based versions of Windows Server 2008 R2||Download the update package now.|
|All supported IA-64-based versions of Windows Server 2008 R2||Download the update package now.|
PrerequisitesTo apply this update, you must be running one of the following operating systems:
- Windows 7
- Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1)
- Windows Server 2008 R2
- Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (SP1)
Registry informationTo apply this update, you do not have to make any changes to the registry.
Restart requirementYou must restart the computer after you apply this update.
Update replacement informationThis update does not replace a previously released update.
File informationThe global version of this update installs files that have the attributes that are listed in the following tables. The dates and the times for these files are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). The dates and the times for these files on your local computer are displayed in your local time together with your current daylight saving time (DST) bias. Additionally, the dates and the times may change when you perform certain operations on the files.
Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 file information notesImportant Windows 7 updates and Windows Server 2008 R2 updates are included in the same packages. However, updates on the Update Request page are listed under both operating systems. To request the update package that applies to one or both operating systems, select the update that is listed under "Windows 7/Windows Server 2008 R2" on the page. Always refer to the "Applies To" section in articles to determine the actual operating system that each update applies to.
- The files that apply to a specific product, SR_Level (RTM, SPn), and service branch (LDR, GDR) can be identified by examining the file version numbers as shown in the following table:
Version Product Milestone Service branch 6.1.760
Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 RTM GDR 6.1.760
Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 RTM LDR 6.1.760
Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 GDR 6.1.760
Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 LDR
- GDR service branches contain only those fixes that are widely released to address widespread, critical issues. LDR service branches contain updates in addition to widely released fixes.
- The MANIFEST files (.manifest) and the MUM files (.mum) that are installed for each environment are listed separately in the "Additional file information for Windows 7 and for Windows Server 2008 R2" section. MUM and MANIFEST files, and the associated security catalog (.cat) files, are extremely important to maintaining the state of the updated component. The security catalog files, for which the attributes are not listed, are signed with a Microsoft digital signature.
For all supported x86-based versions of Windows 7
For all supported x64-based versions of Windows 7 and of Windows Server 2008 R2
For all supported IA-64-based versions of Windows Server 2008 R2
Additional file information
Additional file information for Windows 7 and for Windows Server 2008 R2
Additional files for all supported x86-based versions of Windows 7
Additional files for all supported x64-based versions of Windows 7 and of Windows Server 2008 R2
Additional files for all supported IA-64-based versions of Windows Server 2008 R2
Article ID: 2729094 - Last Review: Nov 22, 2012 - Revision: 1