Consider the following scenario:
- You have a computer that is running Windows Server 2012.
- The system locale setting of the computer is set to Japanese.
- You install the Network Policy and Access Services (NPAS) server role with default settings on the computer.
- You try to run the Best Practices Analyzer tool to scan Network Access Protection (NAP) components.
Cannot convert value "System.Object" to type "System.Xml.XmlDocument". Error: "'<', hexadecimal value 0x3C, is an invalid attribute character. Line 21, position 8."
- This issue also occurs when the system locale is set to a language that uses Unicode characters.
- When you install the NPAS server role by using default settings in Windows Server 2012, only the Network Policy Server role service is installed.
This issue occurs because UTF-8 encoding is not specified during the reading process of the XML files that are related to the Best Practices Analyzer scan.
Hotfix informationA supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem.
If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix Download Available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, submit a request to Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix.
Note If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft website: Note The "Hotfix Download Available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.
PrerequisitesTo apply this hotfix, you must be running Windows Server 2012. Additionally, you must have the NPAS server role installed.
Registry informationTo use the hotfix in this package, you do not have to make any changes to the registry.
Restart requirementYou must restart the computer after you apply this hotfix.
Hotfix replacement informationThis hotfix does not replace a previously released hotfix.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
For more information about software update terminology, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
824684 Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates