- You cannot create a Hyper-V virtual machine on a USB drive. Additionally, you receive the following error message:Windows Cannot Access \\Servername\Sharename. Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose.
Error Code: 0x80070005
Access is Denied
- You cannot access file shares. This includes the default administrative shares that are located on a removable storage device. Additionally, you receive the following error message:Windows cannot access \\Servername\Sharename.You do not have permission to access \\Servername\Sharename. Contact your network Administrator to request access.
- You cannot access an Internet Information Services (IIS) website that is hosted on a removable storage device. Additionally, you receive the following error message:Filename: \\?\E:\WEB\Ethics\Web.config
Error: Cannot read configuration file.
- Updates to Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) are not downloaded when the target path for downloads is located on a removable storage device. Additionally, error logs that resemble the following are logged:The WSUS content directory is not accessible.
System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'drive:\WSUS\WsusContent\anonymousCheckFile.txt' is denied.
The server is failing to download some updates.
- You cannot install Microsoft SQL Server on a removable storage device.
Note When you use a VMWare guest system, some SCSI drives are recognized as removable storage. This can affect applications that are installed on nonsystem drives, such as Microsoft SQL Server, Distributed File System Replication, and IIS.
Cumulative Update informationTo resolve this issue, install the Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 cumulative update 2822241. For more information about how to obtain this cumulative update package, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
C:\> sc qc WPDBusEnum
Here is the default output of this command:
[SC] QueryServiceConfig SUCCESS
TYPE : 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
START_TYPE : 3 DEMAND_START
ERROR_CONTROL : 1 NORMAL
BINARY_PATH_NAME : C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted
TAG : 0
DISPLAY_NAME : Portable Device Enumerator Service
DEPENDENCIES : RpcSs
SERVICE_START_NAME : LocalSystem
After applying the hotfix included in 2822241 two reboots may be required if the WPDBusEnum servcie is not restarted and/or you did not refresh Group Policy using the command "GPupdate /force".
In summary, you have to apply hotfix 2822241 , restart the service “Portable Device Enumerator Service” (WPDBusEnum), run "GPupdate /force", reboot the Windows Server 2012.
Article ID: 2811670 - Last Review: Aug 16, 2013 - Revision: 1