- The ODBC drivers provided by ACEODBC.DLL are not listed in the Select a driver dialog box.
- You receive a "The operating system is not presently configured to run this application" error message.
- You receive an "Unable to load odbcji32.dll" error message.
- Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb, *.accdb)
- Microsoft Access Text Driver (*.txt, *.csv)
- Microsoft Excel Driver (*.xls, *.xlsx, *.xlsm, *.xlsb)
Additionally, if you try to define an OLEDB connection from an external application (one that's running outside of Office) by using the Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0 OLEDB provider, you encounter a "Provider cannot be found" error when you try to connect to the provider.
Overview of Click-to-Run for Office 365 setup architecture
ODBC connections to be used in Office applications
You can work around the issue by creating a DSN from within an Office application, such as Access, instead of using the ODBC Administrator. To create a new DSN in Access, follow these steps:
- On the ribbon, select External Data > ODBC Database.
- Select Import or Link, and then click OK.
- Select the tab for the kind of DSN that you want to create (File Data Source or Machine Data Source), and then click New.
- Select the appropriate driver along with any required information to complete the entry.
- After the DSN is created, click Cancel to exit the remaining Import/Link steps.
- The DSN should now appear in the ODBC Administrator, and you can use it in any Office application.
ODBC or Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0 OLEDB provider connections that will be used outside of Office
You must install an MSI installation of the Microsoft Access Database Engine from one of the following sources so that the calling application can locate the driver and provider.
Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 Redistributable
Note If Office 365 is already installed, side-by-side detection will prevent the installation from proceeding. To install the package, perform a quiet installation by running a command such as the following:
<File location>:\<File name> /quiet
For example: C:\AccessDatabaseEngine.exe /quiet
Microsoft Access 2013 Runtime
Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable