For more information about the mail merge process, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Getting startedStart a mail merge. To do this, use one of the following procedures, as appropriate for the version of Word that you are running.
Microsoft Word 2002On the Tools menu, click Letters and Mailings, and then click Mail Merge Wizard.
Microsoft Office Word 2003On the Tools menu, click Letters and Mailings, and then click Mail Merge.
Microsoft Office Word 2007On the Mailings tab, click Start Mail Merge, and then click Step by Step Mail Merge Wizard.
The Mail Merge task pane appears.
Step 1 of 6: Select document type
- In the Mail Merge task pane, click to select Envelopes under
Select document type.
- Click Next: Starting document.
Step 2 of 6: Select starting document
- Under Select starting document, select from the following two options:
- Choose Change document layout, and then click Envelope Options to select the envelope options and format the envelope document.
- Choose Start from existing document, and then either select from the list of file names, or click Open to browse for an existing envelopes document.
- Click Next: Select recipients.
Step 3 of 6: Select recipients
- Under Select recipients, select from the following three options:
- Choose Use an existing list, and then click Browse if you want the recipient information to come from an existing data file.
- Choose Select from Outlook contacts, and then click Choose Contacts Folder if you want the recipient information to come from names in an Outlook contacts folder.
- Choose Type a new list, and then click
Create to type the recipient names into the New Address List dialog box.
- In the Mail Merge Recipients dialog box, make any adjustments to the list of recipients, and then click OK.
- Click Next: Arrange your envelope.
Step 4 of 6: Arrange your envelope
- Place your insertion point in the delivery address area on the envelope document.
- In the Mail Merge task pane, click Address Block.
- In the Insert Address Block dialog box, select options for recipient name format, company name, postal address, and country/region, and then click OK.
- If you have software installed for electronic postage, you add the electronic postage during this step. For additional information, see the documentation that was included with your electronic postage software.
- If you want to choose other fields from your Address List, click the More Items option to select the field.
- Click Next: Preview your envelopes to continue.
Step 5 of 6: Preview your envelopes
- Preview the envelopes by clicking the left and right arrow buttons.
- If you want to make last-minute changes to the recipient list, click Edit recipient list to skip names or add to your list.
- Click Next: Complete the merge to continue.
Step 6 of 6: Complete the mergeUnder Complete the merge, select from the following two options:
- Click Print to send the merged envelopes to the printer.
- Click Edit individual letters to send the merged envelopes to a new document, which you can edit or save before printing.
Article ID: 294685 - Last Review: Apr 4, 2007 - Revision: 1