For more information about mail merge, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Note When you merge a Web page to e-mail in Microsoft Word 2002 by using the HTML mail format, hyperlinks in the e-mail message do not work. For more information about how to resolve this problem, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Getting startedStart a mail merge. To do this, use one of the following procedures, as appropriate for the version of Word that you are running.
Microsoft Word 2002On the Tools menu, click Letters and Mailings, and then click Mail Merge Wizard.
Microsoft Office Word 2003On the Tools menu, click Letters and Mailings, and then click Mail Merge.
Microsoft Office Word 2007 and Microsoft Word 2010On the Mailings tab, click Start Mail Merge, and then click Step by Step Mail Merge Wizard.
The Mail Merge task pane appears.
Step 1 of 6: Select document type
- Under Select Document Type, click E-mail Messages.
- Click Next: Starting Document.
Step 2 of 6: Select starting document
- Under Select starting document are three choices: Use the current document, Start from a template, and Start from existing document. When you click each option, additional information about the option appears in the task pane.
- Click Next: Select Recipients to continue.
Step 3 of 6: Select recipients
- If you select Use an existing list, click Browse to locate and choose your file. Click Edit recipient list to modify the address list after it is created.
- If you select Select from Outlook contacts, click Choose Contacts Folder. If Outlook is not open, you will be prompted for your Outlook profile.
- If you select Type a new list, you can create a new address list.
- Click Next: Write your e-mail message to continue.
Step 4 of 6: Write your e-mail messageAt this point, you insert your merge fields. You can use a combination of items:
- Address Block: Use this item to insert fields that will insert a block of text, such as the name and address.
- Greeting Line: Use this item to choose the format that you want on your greeting line.
- Electronic Postage: Use this item if you have electronic postage software on your computer that is compatible with Word.
- More Items: Use this item to enter any other fields that are in your recipient list.
Step 5 of 6: Preview your e-mail messageYou can preview just one message of your mail merge, or you can preview all of them. You also can click Edit recipient list to remove names or add to your recipient list.
After you preview your message, click Next: Complete the merge to continue.
Step 6 of 6: Complete the merge
- Click Electronic Mail.
- When the Merge to E-mail dialog box appears, select the field that you want to use for the To line, type the subject in the Subject line, and then select the mail format that you want to use.
- Click OK to send your messages.
Article ID: 294694 - Last Review: Sep 18, 2011 - Revision: 1