Note To connect from a Linux host to StorSimple devices, you must use the Open-iSCSI initiator.
On the Linux host
- Make sure that the iSCSI utilities are installed.
- To check whether they are installed, run the rpm -q iSCSI-initiator-utils command.
- If the iSCSI utilities are not installed, install them by using the yum install iSCSI-initiator-utils command.
- Find the iSCSI initiator name of the Linux host. To do this, run the cat /etc/iSCSI/initiatorname.iscsi command.
On the StorSimple appliance
- Create an Access Control Record (ACR) by using the iSCSI initiator name of the Linux host. For more information about the instructions for creating an ACR, visit this website.
- Create a new volume, and then grant permissions to the volume to the ACR for the Linux host. For more information about the instructions for creating a volume, visit this website.
On the Linux host
- Perform discovery on the IP address of a data interface on the StorSimple device. To do this, run the iscsiadm -m discovery -t sendtargets -p xx.xx.xx.xx command.
Note Replace the xx.xx.xx.xx placeholder in the previous example with your StorSimple data interface IP.
- Restart the iSCSI service by using the /etc/init.d/iSCSI restart command.
- Confirm that the StorSimple volume is visible, and then find the name of the volume. To do this, use one of the following commands:
- fdisk -l | grep /dev
- tail -f /var/logs/messages
- Create a file system on the volume. For example, run the mkfs -t ext3 /dev/sdc command.
- Mount the volume. For example, run the mkdir /data1 command or the mount /dev/sdc/data1 command.
Other Linux iSCSI Commands
Check current iSCSI sessions
iscsiadm -m session -P 1
Log on to an iSCSI target
iscsiadm -m node -login < TARGET IP >
Log off from an iSCSI target
iscsiadm -m node -logout < TARGET IP >
Delete an iSCSI target
iscsiadm -m node -o delete < TARGET IP >The third-party products that this article discusses are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, about the performance or reliability of these products.