- You have two hard disks installed on a Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) computer that's running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2.
- You have Windows installed on one of the hard disks.
- In Disk Management, you configure a redundant array of independent disks (RAID) level 1, and you mirror the system drive to the hard disk that does not have Windows installed.
- You install the Windows Server Backup feature.
- You perform a full backup of Windows.
- You restart the computer to Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE), and then you perform a Bare Metal Recovery (BMR) operation.
In this scenario, the recovery fails, and you receive the following error message:
Error Detail: The requested system device cannot be identified due to multiple indistinguishable devices potentially matching the identification criteria. (0x80073B92)
Hotfix informationA supported hotfix is available from Microsoft Support. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing the problem described in this article. This hotfix might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next software update that contains this hotfix.
If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix.
Note If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, go to the following Microsoft website: Note The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.