- You have a Windows Server 2012 R2 or Windows Server 2008 R2-based domain environment that contains Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 domain clients.
- The Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 domain clients have two disk drives. They are Drive C and Drive D.
- There are more than 500 users in the organizational unit (OU) on the Active Directory domain.
- There is a Group Policy setting for the users in the OU to redirect certain folders as follows:
- The Downloads folder is redirected to D:\Users\%USERNAME%\Downloads.
- The Music folder is redirected to D:\Users\%USERNAME%\Music.
- The Pictures folder is redirected to D:\Users\%USERNAME%\Pictures.
- The Videos folder is redirected to D:\Users\%USERNAME%\Videos.
- There is no problem for these users to apply such a Group Policy setting.
- Some new Active Directory users are created in the same OU.
In this scenario, as the number of user profiles increases, the logon process for new users takes significantly longer. For example, the logon process may take as long as 6 hours.
How to obtain this update or hotfix
Important Do not install a language pack after you install this update or hotfix. If you do, the language-specific changes in the update or hotfix will not be applied, and you will have to reinstall the update or hotfix. For more information, see Add language packs to Windows.
Method 1: Windows UpdateThis update is provided as an Optional update from Windows Update.
Method 2: Microsoft Download CenterThe following files are available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
|All supported x86-based versions of Windows 8.1||Download the package now.|
|All supported x64-based versions of Windows 8.1||Download the package now.|
|All supported x64-based versions of Windows Server 2012 R2||Download the package now.|
For more information about how to download Microsoft support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Method 3: Hotfix package for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2A supported hotfix is available from Microsoft Support. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing the problem described in this article. This hotfix might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next software update that contains this hotfix.
If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix.
Note If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, go to the following Microsoft website: Note The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.