- Microsoft System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager Endpoint Protection Service Pack 1 (SP1) clients
- Microsoft System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager Endpoint Protection clients
- Microsoft System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection Service Pack 2 (SP2) clients
- Microsoft System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection Service Pack 1 (SP1) clients
- Microsoft Forefront Endpoint Protection 2010 clients.
This package updates Endpoint Protection client services, drivers, and user interface (UI) components.
Microsoft regularly releases anti-malware platform updates to guarantee consistency in protection, performance, robustness, and usability in a malware landscape that is constantly changing. This update package is dated March 2016.
Update informationThis anti-malware platform update contains the following improvements:
- Improved detection for Potentially Unwanted Applications (PUAs). This blocks PUAs from being downloaded through Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome. It also detects PUAs in the following circumstances and locations:
- A file that has Mark of the Web (MOTW)
- A file in the Downloads folder
- A file in the Temp folder
It will not detect outside these folders and will not remove already installed PUAs. You must turn it on by configuring the following registry subkey:Registry location:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\MpEngine
DWORD name: MpEnablePUS
DWORD value: 1
- VDI improvements to the UI to better handle multiple remote sessions and to prevent any user from rebooting the machine if a malware clean-up requires a reboot. Administrators can control this by using this GPO.Registry location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\UX Configuration
DWORD name: SuppressRebootNotification
DWORD value: 1
- Virtual machine performance optimizations concern memory usage and initial VM load time. A script is available to allow signatures to be downloaded one time on the host server and reused by the VMs. This saves network bandwidth when downloading the signatures. For information about the script, click here.
- The hash (SHA1) of detected threat files can be recorded in the event log for additional research and correlation with other threat streams. To enable SHA1 logging, configure the following registry subkey:Registry location:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware
DWORD name: ThreatFileHashLogging
DWORD value: 1
When a threat file is detected and hash logging is enabled, EventID 1120 is recorded in the System log.
How to obtain this updateThis update is available from Microsoft Update.
Microsoft UpdateAnti-malware platform updates for stand-alone System Center 2012 R2 clients, System Center 2012 clients, and Forefront Endpoint Protection 2010 clients are available from Microsoft Update.
For information about the change to Microsoft Update for obtaining these updates, see the following topic on the Microsoft TechNet website:
PrerequisitesTo apply this update, you must have one of the following installed:
- System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager
- Cumulative Update 4 for System Center 2012 Configuration Manager Service Pack 1
- Service Pack 2 for System Center Configuration Manager 2007 and Update Rollup 1 for Forefront Endpoint Protection 2010
Restart informationYou may have to restart the computer after you apply this update.
Update replacement informationThis update replaces update 3049560 dated May 2015.
Version informationThis update brings the anti-malware client version to 220.127.116.11. To find the version information, click About on the Help menu of the Endpoint Protection client user interface.
File informationThe English version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time item in Control Panel.
|File name||File version||File size||Date||Time||Platform|
Article ID: 3106514 - Last Review: Mar 11, 2016 - Revision: 1