Note Before this change, the default Sync Slider windows for new accounts could only be configured manually by setting the SyncWindowSetting registry value. This change introduces a new registry value that lets administrators select 3 days, 1 week, or 2 weeks as the default settings in addition to the existing options, which are 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, 12 months, 24 months, and All.
Follow the steps in this section carefully. Serious problems might occur if you change the registry incorrectly. Before you change it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.
- Exit all Microsoft Office applications.
- Start Registry Editor:
- In Windows 10, go to Start, enter regedit in the Search Windows box, and then select regedit.exe in the search results.
- In Windows 8 or Windows 8.1, if you're using a mouse, move it to the upper-right corner, go to Search, enter regedit in the search text box, and then select regedit.exe in the search results.
- In Windows 7, go to Start, enter regedit in the Search programs and files text box, and then select regedit.exe in the search results.
- Locate and then select the following registry entry:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Cached Mode
- On the Edit menu, point to New, and then select DWORD Value.
- Enter SyncWindowSettingDays, and then press the Enter key.
- If the SyncWindowSetting value does not exist already, on the Edit menu, point to New, and then select DWORD Value.
- Enter SyncWindowSetting, and then press the Enter key.
- In the Details pane, press and hold (or right-click) SyncWindowSettingDays or SyncWindowSetting, and then select Modify.
Note Both the SyncWindowSetting and the SyncWindowSettingDays registry values should be set correctly to make sure that Outlook 2016 selects the correct window. If one of the registry values isn't configured, or is set to an invalid value, Outlook 2016 will assume the default value 12 for the SyncWindowSetting registry value, and 0 for the SyncWindowSettingDays registry value.
- To set the value for the SyncWindowSetting and the SyncWindowSettingDays registry keys, see the following table for more information:
Desired sync window SyncWindowSetting value SyncWindowSettingDays value 3 days 0 3 1 week 0 7 2 weeks 0 14 1 month 1 0 3 months 3 0 6 months 6 0 12 months 12 0 24 months 24 0 All 0 0
- Exit Registry Editor.
Article ID: 3115009 - Last Review: May 4, 2016 - Revision: 1