- You have a new installation of Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 4 or Surface Book.
- You deploy a custom Windows 10 image to a Surface Pro 4 or Surface Book.
- The battery life is decreased.
- The device is warm to the touch after you take it out of the bag or sleeve.
- The battery is dead after the device sits overnight or for a shorter period during which you would not expect it to drain.
Note This issue occurs only if you have a new installation of Windows 10 or deploy a custom Windows 10 image. It does not occur with the Windows 10 image that is included with either of these devices.
- Click the Windows icon, and then type Power Options.
- Select the Power Options control panel.
- Select your current power plan, and then click Change plan settings.
- Click Change advanced power settings, and then click Sleep.
- Click Hibernate After, and then set the time period after which to hibernate. (The default for the Surface Pro 4 and the Surface Book is 2 hours.)
If you are deploying or customizing a reference image, you can configure this setting (HIBERNATEIDLE) by running the following commands to start hibernation after 2 hours (DC) and 0 hours (AC), respectively:
powercfg /setacvalueindex SCHEME_CURRENT 238c9fa8-0aad-41ed-83f4-97be242c8f20 9d7815a6-7ee4-497e-8888-515a05f02364 0
We recommend the following additional power settings. These settings match what is configured in the image that is included with the Surface Pro 4 and the Surface Book. These settings should be configured in your reference image.
Set Display Dim to 105 Secondspowercfg.exe /setdcvalueindex scheme_current 7516b95f-f776-4464-8c53-06167f40cc99 17aaa29b-8b43-4b94-aafe-35f64daaf1ee 105
Set Display Off to 120 Secondspowercfg.exe /setdcvalueindex scheme_current 7516b95f-f776-4464-8c53-06167f40cc99 3c0bc021-c8a8-4e07-a973-6b14cbcb2b7e 120
Set Display Brightness to 50%powercfg.exe /setdcvalueindex scheme_current 7516b95f-f776-4464-8c53-06167f40cc99 aded5e82-b909-4619-9949-f5d71dac0bcb 50
Set Critical Battery Level to 3%powercfg /setdcvalueindex SCHEME_CURRENT e73a048d-bf27-4f12-9731-8b2076e8891f 9a66d8d7-4ff7-4ef9-b5a2-5a326ca2a469 3
powercfg /setacvalueindex SCHEME_CURRENT e73a048d-bf27-4f12-9731-8b2076e8891f 9a66d8d7-4ff7-4ef9-b5a2-5a326ca2a469 3
Set PCIe power management to Enable ASPM(2) for NVMEpowercfg /setdcvalueindex SCHEME_CURRENT 501a4d13-42af-4429-9fd1-a8218c268e20 ee12f906-d277-404b-b6da-e5fa1a576df5 2
powercfg /setacvalueindex SCHEME_CURRENT 501a4d13-42af-4429-9fd1-a8218c268e20 ee12f906-d277-404b-b6da-e5fa1a576df5 2
Article ID: 3122682 - Last Review: Feb 5, 2017 - Revision: 2