To learn more about the vulnerability, see Microsoft Security Bulletin MS16-075 and Microsoft Security Bulletin MS16-076.
- All future security and non-security updates for Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 require update 2919355 to be installed. We recommend that you install update 2919355 on your Windows RT 8.1-based, Windows 8.1-based, or Windows Server 2012 R2-based computer so that you receive future updates.
- If you install a language pack after you install this update, you must reinstall this update. Therefore, we recommend that you install any language packs that you need before you install this update. For more information, see Add language packs to Windows.
Known issues in this security update
When you try to access a domain DFS namespace (such as \\contoso.com\SYSVOL) on a computer that is configured to require mutual authentication (by using the UNC Hardened Access feature), you receive an "Access Denied" error message. Additionally, you may receive a "0x000000e3" Stop error message.
This problem may occur if the selected domain controller has security update 3161561 installed, and if the SmbServerNameHardeningLevel registry entry is configured to a non-zero value on the domain controller.
Note This problem does not occur if you bypass the domain DFS namespace by directing the request to a specific domain controller (such as \\dc1.contosol.com\SYSVOL).
To work around this problem, set the SmbServerNameHardeningLevel registry entry to 0. For more information about how to configure the SmbServerNameHardeningLevel entry, see the "Workarounds" section of Microsoft Security Bulletin MS15-083.
To resolve this issue, install one of the following updates, as appropriate for your operating system:
- 3179574 August 2016 update rollup for Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2
- 3179573 August 2016 update rollup for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
- 3177186 MS16-114: Description of the security update for Windows SMBv1 Server: September 13, 2016
Method 1: Windows Update
Note For Windows RT 8.1, this update is available through Windows Update only.
Article ID: 3161561 - Last Review: Apr 11, 2017 - Revision: 2