Note We recommend that existing Data Protection Manager to Windows Azure customers upgrade to the latest agent (version 2.0.9040).
Features implemented in this update rollup
By using Update Rollup 11 for System Center 2012 R2 Data Protection Manager, customers can back up VMware virtual machines (VMs). The following are the high-level features of VMware VM backup:
- Agentless backup
- Detection and backup of VMs through vCenter / ESXi v5.5 or v6.0 servers
- DPM detection and protection at the folder level if customers organize VMs in VM folders in vCenter
- Protection of VMs that are stored on cluster storage, NFS, or direct attached storage
- Recovery of an entire virtual machine or individual files and folders by using item-level recovery for Windows VMs
Issues that are fixed in this update rollup
- The Data Protection Manager Service crashes when you try to remove a data source from protection when the server name has more than 64 characters.
- SharePoint-optimized item level recovery (ILR) does not work if Data Protection Manager encounters a data-item it can't access during cataloging.
- Changing pre-DPM 2012 R2 UR9 Protection Groups that use online protection triggers a DPM console crash in UR9.
- If many alerts are raised by Data Protection Manager in a short time span, Data Protection Manager Alerts aren't correctly synced to System Center Operations Manager–based Central Console. This leads to Central Console displaying resolved alerts as active alerts.
- If you are trying to perform Alternate Data Protection Manager Recovery for Inactive cloud protected data sources, the cloud recovery points cannot be accessed.
- If an update is available for the MAB Agent, Data Protection Manager shows it only at the start of a cloud-backup. There is no other way to show that the agent is not up to date. Similarly, after it is updated, the update alert disappears only after you run a cloud backup job.
Known issues in this update rollup
- When you install Update Rollup 11 for System Center 2012 R2 Data Protection Manager on a server that's running Windows Server 2008, VMware VM backups fail. This issue occurs because there is no VHDX support in Windows Server 2008.
How to obtain and install Update Rollup 11 for System Center 2012 R2 Data Protection Manager
Download informationUpdate packages for Data Protection Manager are available from Microsoft Update or by manual download.
Microsoft UpdateTo obtain and install an update package from Microsoft Update, follow these steps on a computer that has a Data Protection Manager component installed:
- Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
- In Control Panel, double-click Windows Update.
- In the Windows Update window, click Check Online for updates from Microsoft Update.
- Click Important updates are available.
- Select the Update Rollup package and then click OK.
- Click Install updates to install the update package.