- After you apply this security update, the PowerShell v3.0+ stop-computer command fails. You get a "Privilege not held" error message. For more information, go to the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
- If you install a language pack after you install this update, you must reinstall this update. Therefore, we recommend that you install any language packs that you need before you install this update. For more information, see Add language packs to Windows.
Additional information about this security update
For any Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) applications returning the following error message:
Get-WmiObject: The method or operation is not implemented.
To temporarily disable this update, customers can apply the following registry entry to their system.
Warning: Enabling this registry entry could allow security vulnerabilities including Remote Code Execution.Registry entry
- For 32-bit process on 32-bit system and 64-bit process on 64-bit system:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v2.0.50727@WMIDisableCOMSecurity=1
- For 32-bit process on 64-bit system:
This registry entry should be a DWORD entry.
This registry entry restores the previous unsecured state.
- For 32-bit process on 32-bit system and 64-bit process on 64-bit system:
- For more information about this security update as it relates to Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
4014984 Security and Quality Rollup for the .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2, 4.5.2, and 4.6 updates for Windows Vista Service Pack 2 and Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2: April 11, 2017
How to obtain and install the update
Method 1: Windows Update
This update is available through Windows Update. When you turn on automatic updating, this update will be downloaded and installed automatically. For more information about how to get security updates automatically, see Windows Update: FAQ.
Method 2: Microsoft Update Catalog
To get the stand-alone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog.
Method 3: Windows Software Update Services (WSUS)
- Click Start, click Administrative Tools, and then click Microsoft Windows Server Update Services 3.0.
- Expand ComputerName, and then click Action.
- Click Import Updates.
- WSUS will open a browser window in which you may be prompted to install an ActiveX control. You must install the ActiveX control to continue.
- Once the control is installed, you will see the Microsoft Update Catalog screen. Enter 4014984 in the Search box, and then click Search.
- Locate the .NET Framework packages that match the operating systems, languages, and processors in your environment. Click Add to add them to your basket.
- When you have selected all the packages you need, click View Basket.
- Click Import to import the packages to your WSUS server.
- Click Close once the packages have been imported to return to WSUS.
Update deployment information
For deployment details for this security update, go to the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Update removal information
Note We do not recommend that you remove any security update. To remove this update, use the Programs and Features item in Control Panel.
Update restart information
This update does not require a system restart after you apply it unless files that are being updated are locked or are being used.
Update replacement information
This update replaces previously released update 3210142.
How to obtain help and support for this security update
- Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 when used with:
- Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2
- Windows Vista Service Pack 2