Note Some products might not be available in your country or region.
Some products might not be available in your country or region.
Updates are installed automatically on Surface through Windows Update. Here's a summary of what’s been included in each update so far.
Because updates are cumulative, when you install the latest update, you'll also get all the previous updates if your Surface doesn't have them already. Only updates that apply to Surface will be downloaded and installed.
|Release date for the latest available system update for Surface RT:||3/10/2015|
You can also install updates manually:
- Swipe in from the right edge of the screen and tap Settings.
(If you’re using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and click Settings.)
- Tap or click Change PC settings > Update and recovery.
- Tap or click Check now. If updates are available, tap or click View details.
- Choose the updates you want to install and tap or click Install.
You may need to restart your Surface after the updates have installed.
For more info about Windows Update and to learn how to see which updates you have installed, see Install Surface and Windows updates.
Windows 8.1 Update
Windows RT 8.1 Update includes improvements to make Windows more familiar and convenient for using touch and mouse input with Surface.
- If you’re running Windows RT 8.1, you don’t need to do anything to get this update. It’s free, and you’ll get it automatically from Windows Update over the next few weeks. If you aren’t running Windows RT 8.1 yet, get that update first.
- To see if the update is already installed, go to the Start screen. If you see a Search button next to your account picture at the top of the Start screen, you already have the update.
- To install Windows 8.1 Update manually, follow the steps in Install the latest Windows 8.1 Update. If you can’t install the update manually, you might be missing one or more of the required updates. Install all important updates, in particular KB 2919442, and restart your Surface.
- If you get an error message during the update indicating you don’t have enough disk space available, see Tips to free up disk space.
September 2015 updates
No product updates were released for Surface RT in September.
March 2015 updates
The following updates will be listed as “System Firmware Update – 3/10/2015” or “System Hardware Update – 3/10/2015” when you view your update history.
- Audio and Display driver set (v9.17.13.0907) improves audio and video experience and enhances system stability.
August 2014 updates
The following updates will be listed as “System Firmware Update – 8/12/2014” when you view your update history.
When Surface updates are provided via the Windows Update service, they are delivered in stages to Surface customers. As a result, not every Surface will receive the update at the same time, but the update will be delivered to all devices. If you have not received the update, please manually check Windows Update later.
- Surface RT UEFI (v3.31.500) enhances overall system stability.
July 2014 updates
The following updates will be listed as “System Hardware Update – 7/8/2014” in the Windows Update History.
- Surface Home Button Driver (v188.8.131.52) enhances system stability in both the active state and the sleep/wake transition state.
January 2014 updates
Windows RT 8.1
- Surface Type Cover 2 firmware
- These updates improve the experience of using a second-generation Type Surface Cover on your Surface RT running Windows RT 8.1, including touchpad performance and overall product stability.
- Surface Touch Cover 2 firmware
- These updates improve the experience of using a second-generation Surface Touch Cover on your Surface RT running Windows RT 8.1, including touchpad performance and overall product stability.
Windows RT 8.0
No product updates were released for Windows RT 8.0 in January.
December 2013 updates
Windows RT 8.0 and Windows RT 8.1
- Surface Home Button Driver (v184.108.40.206) update optimizes available system memory.
- Surface Type Cover audio device driver (v220.127.116.11) update enhances trackpad sounds for Type Cover 2.
November 2013 updates
Windows RT update:
Allows the use of Japanese Touch Cover 2 and Type Cover 2.
October 2013 updates
October 8 release
Windows RT updates:
- UEFI firmware updates.
- System Aggregator firmware updates.
- Device driver updates enhance the Windows RT 8.1 update experience and enhance use of Type Cover 2 or Surface Touch Cover 2.
Windows RT 8.1 Preview updates:
- Migrates all existing Windows RT drivers and firmware to Windows RT 8.1.
- Multiple updates that take advantage of improvements in Windows RT 8.1 including:
- Increased battery life.
- Optimizations for using Type Cover 2 or Surface Touch Cover 2.
October 4 release
In preparation for the release of Windows RT 8.1, no additional updates were released for Surface RT running Windows RT.
August 2013 updates
Windows RT 8.0 updates only:
- UEFI firmware update enhances the audio experience at low volumes and removes a perceived pulsing in audio volume for some content.
- Update to system drivers enhances stability and reliability.
July 2013 updates
Firmware update enhances system performance and reliability.
June 2013 updates
- Surface Home Button driver update improves the reliability of the devices waking up immediately on the first button press.
- Firmware update for Surface Type Cover and Surface Touch Cover improves functionality for both accessories and includes the ability to toggle function keys, new shortcuts, and helpful keyboard navigation improvements.
May 2013 updates
- UEFI firmware update enhances Surface RT speaker volume and improves system stability.
- Driver pack improves performance and works with the updated UEFI firmware to enhance Surface RT speaker volume.
- Trackpad Settings driver for Surface Type Cover enables interaction with the Trackpad Settings app for Japanese customers.
April 2013 updates
- Resolves certain “Limited” connectivity issues.
- Improves Wi-Fi to handle a wide range of access points.
- Resolves system crashes caused by certain Wi-Fi issues.
March 2013 updates
- Fixes to Wi-Fi reliability allow for better roaming and improvements to "Limited" connectivity.
- Resolves issues with integrated volume button.
- Improves Type Cover and Touch Cover typing experience.
- Fixes issue with random muting.
- Improves performance of Trackpad.
February 2013 updates
- Fixes several "Limited" Wi-Fi connectivity issues.
- Driver updates improve performance with Windows volume and power buttons.
January 2013 updates
- Resolves specific audio playback issues when Surface is in Connected Standby.
- Enhances capability for handling firmware updates during low battery situations.
December 2012 updates
- Supports Access Point names (SSIDs) such as “Eric’s Phone_1” including non-standard-ASCII special characters such as: ñ, ö, ü, á, é.
- Enhances Wi-Fi connectivity.