Note Some products might not be available in your country or region.
Some products might not be available in your country or region.
To keep your Surface Laptop (1st Gen) performing its best, make sure that you have the latest Surface updates.
- How to get the update
- Improvements and fixes in the update
- Known issues and additional information about Surface Laptop (1st Gen)
Surface updates are released in stages – not every Surface will receive the update at the same time, but it’ll be delivered to all devices. If you haven’t received an update, see Install Surface and Windows updates.
- Firmware updates can’t be uninstalled or reverted to an earlier version.
- When you install the latest update, you'll also get all the previous updates if your Surface doesn't have them already. Only updates that apply to Surface will be downloaded and installed.
- After the updates are installed, restart your device to complete the installation process. To restart your device, select the Start button, and then select Power > Restart.
March 2019 updates
Mar 28 release
The following updates are available for all Surface Laptop (1st Gen) devices running Windows 10 April 2018 Update, version 1803 or greater:
Windows Update History Name
Device Manager Name
Surface – System – 220.127.116.11
Surface Intersil Ambient Light Sensor (HID) – System devices
We are listening. Quality is a top priority, and we want to keep you informed about issues impacting customers. The following is a known issue:
When using a Surface Laptop (1st Gen), you may experience one of the following symptoms:
This issue is now resolved by installing the Surface – System – 18.104.22.168 update from Windows Update.
If you disabled the Ambient Light Sensor to work around this issue, you should re-enable it.
For more info about this issue, please see KB 4494135 - Surface Laptop memory leak causes performance issues and system crashes.