Assume that you have side-by-side (SxS) instances of Microsoft SQL Server 2016 Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Service Pack 2 (SP2) installed. You will be unable to upgrade the SP1 instance because the Cumulative Update (CU) patches for SP2 is missing RsFx0412 system driver.
Note Please ensure that the SxS instances of SQL Server 2016 SP2 instance have the latest updates before you upgrade the SQL Server 2016 SP1 instance.
To work around this issue, you can process the following steps:
- Extract RsFx.msi from the SP1 CU installer (/x option).
- Extract the contents of RsFx.msi (msiexec /a RSFX.MSI /qb TARGETDIR="C:\rsfx_content").
- Find RsFx0412.inf and RsFx0412.sys.
- Copy the files to:
- C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\130\Shared\RsFxInstall\RsFx0412.inf and
- Restart the SP1 CU installer.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.