This security update resolves vulnerabilities in Microsoft Office that could allow remote code execution if a user opens a specially crafted Office file. To learn more about these vulnerabilities, see Microsoft Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures CVE-2018-8480, Microsoft Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures CVE-2018-8488, Microsoft Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures CVE-2018-8498, and Microsoft Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures CVE-2018-8518.
Note To apply this security update, you must have the release version of SharePoint Enterprise Server 2016 installed on the computer.
This public update delivers Feature Pack 2 for SharePoint Server 2016, which contains the following feature:
- SharePoint Framework (SPFx)
This public update also delivers all the features that were included in Feature Pack 1 for SharePoint Server 2016, including:
- Administrative Actions Logging
- MinRole enhancements
- SharePoint Custom Tiles
- Hybrid Auditing (preview)
- Hybrid Taxonomy
- OneDrive API for SharePoint on-premises
- OneDrive for Business modern experience (available to Software Assurance customers)
The OneDrive for Business modern user experience requires an active Software Assurance contract at the time that the experience is enabled, either by installation of the public update or by manual enablement. If you don't have an active Software Assurance contract at the time of enablement, you must turn off the OneDrive for Business modern user experience.
For more information, see the following Microsoft Docs articles:
Improvements and fixes
This security update contains improvements and fixes for the following nonsecurity issues for SharePoint Server 2016:
- When you open the Office 365 OneDrive site from on-premises SharePoint Server 2016 environment, the Top Navigation bar is not displayed correctly.
- If a site collection is configured to use the Security Assertions Markup Language (SAML) Claims provider for the authentication and a SAML account is specified as the site collection administrator, the SAML account can't be added as an administrator of the term store via Central Administration.
- When you click a document URL in the contents of the version of a document in the Document Set, the document isn't displayed, and you see a HTTP 404 error page. This issue occurs when the URL of the site collection contains a space or other supported special character.
- This update adds the ability to search content of an Office365 Private Group from the on-premises search center in a hybrid search.
- When you add or remove reusable content under "Site Contents" in a Wiki subsite, checking or unchecking the Show in drop-down menu check box does not affect whether the reusable content is shown in the drop-down menu.
- This update improves the reliability of copying files and folders inside a document library in highly concurrent scenarios.
- When you click the Cancel button in the Content Approval page, nothing happens.
- This update addresses some intermittent performance issues.
This security update contains improvements and fixes for the following nonsecurity issues for Project Server 2016:
- This update adds support for cost resources in the Client-Side Object Model (CSOM) in Project Server 2016. Now, you can create or get a cost resource through CSOM.
- This update adds the ability to set the LookupAllowMultiSelect property on the CustomField class in the Client-Side Object Model (CSOM).
- This update adds support for the HyperlinkURL and HyperlinkName properties to the EnterpriseResource class in the Client-Side Object Model (CSOM).
- This update adds a IsLeafOnly property to the CustomField class in the Client-Side Object Model (CSOM). Through this property, you can get or set a value that indicates whether the custom field value must be a leaf node in the lookup table.
- The data of an inactive resource assignment incorrectly affects availability on Capacity Planning reports.
How to get and install the update
Method 1: Microsoft Update
This update is available from Microsoft Update. When you turn on automatic updating, this update will be downloaded and installed automatically. For more information about how to get security updates automatically, see Windows Update: FAQ.
Method 2: Microsoft Update Catalog
To get the stand-alone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.
Method 3: Microsoft Download Center
You can get the stand-alone update package through the Microsoft Download Center. Follow the installation instructions on the download page to install the update.
Security update deployment information
For deployment information about this update, see security update deployment information: October 9, 2018.
Security update replacement information
This security update replaces previously released security update KB 4092459.
File hash information
|File name||SHA1 hash||SHA256 hash|
Dwnload the file information for security update KB 4461447.